specific RAM upgrade questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakeopolis, Feb 25, 2008.

1. jakeopolis macrumors member

hi all,

sorry about posting about RAM, i know there are a million threads already... i just have some specific questions i was hoping to get answered.

i have a macbook with 1gb ram, and i'd like to add another gig. questions:

1) i have 2x 512 DDR2 SDRAM, 667 mhz (according to system profiler). i suppose i have to buy 2x 1gb and get rid of/sell my 2x 512, right?

2) what kind of 3rd party ram will be good/compatible? i'm petrified of destroying my macbook.

3) i have applecare. will buying 3rd party ram and installing it void my warranty? what if i buy the ram, and bring it to an applecare shop to pop it in for me. does that NOT void the warranty?

again, sorry for making yet another ram post, i'm pretty paranoid about this kind of thing so i really wanted to get some clear answers.

thanks!

jake.

2. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Ten minutes searching on the forum would have given you the answers you need, please don't apologise, just try the search option - all these questions have already been answered elsewhere.

3. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

riscy is right, you can find all these answers if you search.
    but i'll go ahead anyway:

1) correct, you will need to buy 2 - 1gb sticks and replace both of your existing 512 sticks (there are even some ram sites that will buy back your old ram)

2) OWC, crucial, new egg, ram direct ... all have mac compatible ram, all are legit, all will help you pick the correct ram for your computer, search them all for the best price

3) upgrading your ram DOES NOT void apple care or your warranty. your can do it yourself - it is designed to be upgraded by the user.

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

thanks tothelimit, I did not have the time to post the answers, or rather I was going to find and post the links to the relevant threads, then I decided not to.

5. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

haha - no problem. i guess it can't hurt to have these answers out in the threads for the 23094th time. ;)

6. jakeopolis thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies guys. again i'm sorry for making a new post... i couldn't quite find what i needed with search.

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Just buy 1 gig and go with 1.5. You can always buy another gig if need be.