Specific "reset" options - 4.0.1/3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by noahsnyc, Aug 14, 2010.

1. noahsnyc macrumors regular

I've done a couple searches and haven't found any experiences on iOS4 (3GS) -

What "reset" options can I safely do without jeopardizing my jailbreak/unlock?

I assume "Reset All Settings" may be alright but "Erase All Content and Settings" is not?

There's a ton of non-specific accounts of "resetting" screwing up jailbreaks and unlocks, but nothing conclusive. I'd like to clear up a little funkiness and I feel like a "light" reset might be in order.

Thanks!

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Why do you think a "light" reset will help in any way?
    What problems are you having?

3. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

There's been a 35-page thread on ModMyI.com regarding battery drain on iOS 4 devices that have had a jailbreak and unlock.

I don't want to bore you with a recount, but some folks have suggested that a "Reset All Settings" reset specifically has been helpful. I don't really want to re-jailbreak, unlock, etc., so I figured I'd ask if that specific "reset" will cause an issue. Again, that specific button, not the "reset network" or "erase/reset" options.

Thanks!

4. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

At this point it would make you put your phone in DFU mode, then you would have to install 4.02 unless u have SHSH on file and know what your doing.

5. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Even though that particular "reset" retains all information and data? I have SHSH blobs all saved, but of course I don't want the hassle.

Honestly, after a week with an iPhone, I'm a little boggled at how a handful of photos, a couple Twitter updates, 20 minutes of Scrabble and a half hour of talking can eat up 50% of my battery... Sure, I've got a couple push notifications and wifi is always on, but my screen brightness is low and my email only polls every 30 minutes. I feel rather conservative, but am I just expecting too much?

6. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I would say its the games.
    They take a very surprising amount of battery

7. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

We're talking Scrabble here.

I'm starting to think it's wifi, and possibly a jailbreak/unlock issue.

Or I just expect more than a few hours of usage and a few hours of standby and the 3GS ain't capable of it.

N.

8. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I restored mine. battery has been great.
    I think its phone specific. Goodluck D:

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You are not correct and am in fact mixing up two different reset options.

This is directly from the apple site:

1. Reset iPhone settings. From the Home screen choose Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. All your preferences are reset, but no data or media is deleted.

10. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what I was worried about - I'm looking for a conclusive statement on that particular reset. Not a restore. Not "reset home screen layout". Not "erase all content". "Reset All Settings". On a jail-broken 3GS running ultrasn0w. Can I get away with it?

At this point, even if I wanted to restore (not reset), I'd be dealing with the hassle of SHSH blobs, et al, right?

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Reset all settings is safe. Erase all content and settings will wipe your phone and force a restore.

12. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I've also corrected slow connection speed and other various yet irritating problems by a "reset all settings" as you described.
    It worked for me.
    The hassle is, for example, having to then tweak the little things like the weather app and also settings such as brightness control and the lock timer.

No information was lost. High score within games is preserved.

13. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

And you were jail-broke, unlocked, etc. on 4/4.0.1?