Specific unlock possible ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stegemacmanaman, Nov 10, 2010.

1. stegemacmanaman macrumors newbie

hi i want to buy a used iphone that was unlocked for and used with a tmobile sim card. I have a completely different non-US simcard and would like to know if an unlocked iphone (unlocked for tmobile) is automatically unlocked for every carrier WORLDWIDE or if it is also possible that the iphone is unlocked for tmobile only, and therfore only works with original at&t and tmobile but not with my european sim card?

thanks

2. chowdarygm macrumors newbie

in general terms, a phone is called unlocked only if it works with all sim cards, any phone cannot be unlocked to work only with 2 carriers.... i hope this answers it :)

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Once the iPhone is unlocked (like any other GSM-phone) it can be used with any carrier around the globe.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The question you asked has already been answered by others but one additional bit of help, since I think you need it. When you get the phone never update the software in Itunes, you will immediately lose your unlock.
    You can sync your music and data etc but when itunes tells you that there is a newer version of software always say no. You should also never hit the button that says erase all content and settings, you will also lose the unlock.

In time after you have read all about JB and Unlocking and you feel happy that you know what you are doing and what versions are unlockable and which are not then you can be more adventurous.