Specific wireless router suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by muttonhead411, May 11, 2010.

1. muttonhead411 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a wireless router/modem for use with my housemates. Here are my requirements for it:

• Able to assign static ip to each user based on MAC address
    • Preferble/Not Essential: Dual band g/n
    • Preferble/Not Essential: Built in router that is ADSL2+ compliant
    • Ability to limit speeds based on IP assigned
    • Ability to measure total downloads per IP

Mainly needed so I am able to monitor usage of my housemates cause we have an internet quota.

Thank you for any suggestion!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

as far as the monitoring the IP data usage, I think that would be a software deal. I am wondering if iStat allows that. I know that i can see what i am using.

As far as a router, I bought an Apple Extreme in late December and have been very happy with it!

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

I have probably bought a dozen wireless routers. The best performing and most stable one was a Time Capsule. None of them recorded throughput or allowed me to set speed per ip (or total for that matter).

Look into dd-wrt or tomato firmware. As they are created by computer geeks, they will be more likely to include the functions you require than typical equipment targeted at the home user. Each of those firmwares can be installed on a variety of routers.

If you switch up to a business class managed switch, you may be able to do what you require, but you would be looking at hundreds to thousands of dollars for the switch.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Easiest to use with my Mac - Airport base station.
    Most flexible, with options - Linksys router.

I'm not sure any router does all that you want, but there is software that can augment the hardware to provide you what you're looking for.