Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsdl13

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
hi,

is there a way to specify the folder for sent messages? i'm using gmail imap and some other accounts and I want the sent messages from the other accounts being saved/copied to the gmail sent folder instead of their own sent folders. in thunderbird you can just say “place a copy in folder xyz” but I haven't found anything similar in mail.

thanks and have a nice labor day-evening/night!

dsdl13

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
anyone...?
is it just not possible? or was the question unclear?

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
is it just not possible? or was the question unclear?

I don't think it's possible with the present Mail.app (your question was perfectly clear). I want to do the exact, same thing, and have yet to figure out how.

One "hack" you can do is write a rule. In the rule, make the conditions something like "From == you@yourdomain.com", then put a copy in folder xyz. Write one of those rules for each email account you have.

The problem with this "hack" is that you can't customize the folder views, per folder. For instance, let's say you have 2 IMAP accounts: you@gmail.com and you@yahoo.com. You write rules that say "For every mail I write from you@gmail.com, save a copy to Gmail's sent." You also do one for Yahoo's sent.

The problem comes in when you view Gmail's (or Yahoo's, or any other IMAP account's) sent folder. It'll have the same headings at the top of the window as your incoming mail folder does. In other words, you'll see headers for "From, Subject, Date", etc. If you change it so you can see "To" instead of "From", it'll change the default headings.

As best I can tell, Mail.app's multiple-email-account handling has some maturing to do. Specially its handling of IMAP accounts. It's nowhere near as mature as TBird is, unfortunately. Entourage even does IMAP better than it does (*gak!*)

jas

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
Hm. Might want to ignore my last post. After highlighting the "Sent" mailbox from each IMAP account, perhaps look at the menu item "Mailbox" --> "Use This Mailbox For..." --> "Sent". That might accomplish it. I'm experimenting, and so far it's working as expected.

jas

dsdl13

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
thanks for you replies, jas!

i ended up setting up a smart mailbox that has all the sent messages from my pop accounts in it and i'll just copy that to the imap sent folder every once in a while. it's a compromise and i'm not really satisfied with it but it'll do (until apple comes up with a real solution for that. hopefully...)

your rule suggestion did not really work for me and i also wasn't able to set any more sent mailboxes via the "use this mailbox for..." (that is how i set up my imap sent folder/mailbox).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.