Specing up iMac a good idea?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JoeLegs, Jan 30, 2012.

1. JoeLegs macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm new here, but I've been a reader for the last 3/4 months. I'm waiting on the 2012 iMac release, be it a complete re-design, or just a minor evolution.

I wouldn't use it for design, or gaming. I'd mostly use it for watching mkv movies, downloading files, internet browsing, and being smug. Oh also Office, for word and excel.

Firstly and most importantly, when I buy my first iMac, would it be a good idea to spec it up to the max? (apart from the ram, which I would get from crucial). I'm contemplating specing up as I would like to keep it for pretty much 4 years, no less, no more, and would want it to be useful towards the end of its life with me.

Secondly, and I'm getting quite near the end now. Feb, March, April??..... May???? :/ When Ivy is released, does that mean that apple will dispatch the same day?

Last of all, roughly what would it be worth in 4 years time. (presuming its not damaged in any way)

Well, didn't expect to write that much. Thanks if you took the time to read this, and please if you can give any advice, I will be greatful.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Firstly, what do you want to "spec" up? SSD? Processor? For what you'll be using it for it doesn't sound like you will need a crazy amount of power. I'd think an i5 would be ok, but that's just me. If you have the money go get the i7.

Secondly, it will be released when it's released. It won't be the same day that Ivy is released, try a month after or so.

Thirdly, in four years it'll be worth half to a third of what you got it for. I'm typing this post on my 4 year old iMac and I'd imagine I could get about $800 for it (got it for $1600 new).

If you're just doing light stuff on the machine I'd aim at the middle-high end. No reason to max it out, but don't pinch pennies on the lowest model. This is the approach I take towards getting any sort of expensive electronics (TV, computer, camera, etc.) because I'll get the use out of it that I want and I won't go overkill on my wallet at the time of purchase.

3. JoeLegs thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that, didn't expect such a high resale value. I'm thinking of maxing the storage, graphics and processor. leaving ram to upgrade myself. As a student, I'll be paying 12% less than the standard UK price anyway.

Was hoping for the iMac release in the same week as Ivy :/ neeever mind.

The i5 is some food for thought, thanks again.

4. JamesInvent macrumors newbie

alternative approach

If I were a student I'd want an iMac that would 'go fast', impress geeky friends, but not divert too much funds from key investments in liquid entertainment and impressing the local talent.

My choice would be a second hand Intel iMac, mid 2007 onwards, which you should be able to pick up for relatively little. Add a Crucial SSD, 128Gb or 256Gb, and use the old HD as an external drive for bulky media such as music & photos. Max the RAM out if not already done so, and don't worry about being restricted to 4Gb RAM as the SSD will make up for this with virtual memory.

You'll have a machine that can outpace an Italian Captain and thrash the latest non-SSD iMac's for about 1/3 the price. Some models are easier than others to upgrade to SSD, so check this first.

5. Kungshi macrumors member

According to the needs you have listed the base model would be more than enough for your needs and should supply that need for the next 4 years. It seems to me that you want the extra spec just to have a better machine. In that case its really up to what you can afford. I personally like the upgraded 21" model.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Buy what you can afford. The more you pay the faster it usually is. You can't really upgrade iMac's easily so there may be extra motivation to buy faster. Personally I would only entertain the 2.7GHz i5 or 3.4GHz i7 as they have upgraded GPU's. Upgraded is definitely a loose term as they all have anemic GPU's for games save the 6970m 27" i7.

7. JoeLegs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys. Didn't know that about the gpu! I'm definately edging towards upgrading. I think I'd be disappointed if I regretted not upgrading. 3 to 4 years of regretting it is a scary prospect haha, even of it makes no logical sense.

Now to wait for the release... Tick tock

Cheers.