Speck Announces New CandyShell Inked Luxury Edition Cases for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular iPhone case maker Speck today debuted a new set of cases in its CandyShell lineup, the Inked Luxury Edition. Like other CandyShell cases, Speck's Inked Luxury Edition cases offer a dual-layer design that combines a rigid plastic outer shell with a rubber interior to offer protection from drops without a huge amount of additional bulk.

[​IMG]

We were able to check out the Inked Luxury Edition cases in person ahead of launch. They're quite similar to Speck's existing Inked CandyShell cases, but the designs incorporate metallic colors. There are eight different designs available, ranging from floral to geometric, and the designs wrap all the way around the cases. Design wise, there's a lot of variety to suit different tastes.

[​IMG]

According to Speck, the Luxury Edition cases underwent a "highly technical" printing process that ensures the patterns on the case are resistant to fading and scratching. Speck has also had a third-party test the cases to make sure the metallic finish would not interfere with signal strength.

For those unfamiliar with the CandyShell cases, they're not quite as thin as the Apple leather and silicone cases, so they do add some bulk to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The cases are in no way minimal, but they don't add as much extra weight and size as something like an Otterbox case. For those who don't mind cases, the CandyShell is a solid compromise between protection and bulk.

[​IMG]

CandyShell cases offer protection for the volume and power buttons in the form of rubber covers, and there's a rubber lip that extends up over the edges of the phone to protect the display when it's placed face down on a surface. The case is also thick enough that it protects the protruding camera in the back.

[​IMG]

The CandyShell Inked Luxury Edition cases are available today from the Speck website and in Best Buy stores across the United States. The iPhone 6 version is available for $49.95, while the iPhone 6 Plus version is available for $54.95. Speck's site is currently offering orders through Best Buy at 25 percent off, bringing pricing down to $37.49 and $41.24 respectively.

Article Link: Speck Announces New CandyShell Inked Luxury Edition Cases for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

2. wsc9005 macrumors regular

Thin and Transparent ones are the best design

3. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

So I bought 2 of these already for the 6s Plus and they are seriously amazing. The blue to gray one is beautiful and it feels great to the touch. Nice and smooth. Well worth the price in my opinion. I saw them at my Best Buy last week. I didn't realize i got in early! lol

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Spendy, considering their offerings cost a bundle to begin with. I own a grip model but got it on sale for more than 1/2 off.

5. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

It'd be better if their giant logo didn't cover the design.

6. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

We will not argue about the taste here... But how on Earth could these even be considered "luxury"?!

7. mel823 macrumors 6502

mel823

Saw these listed on Best Buy's website about a week ago. Speck didn't even have them listed on their own website so I thought it was just more inked Candyshell cases and Best Buy just got the name wrong.

8. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Pretty, but pricey. Just can't bring myself to spend more than $10 on a case and always seem to go back to the TPU ones from China - 6 cases in different colors for $10!

9. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Used some of their others and have always done the job (kept the phone protected, looking good and resale value up).

Be interesting to see how tough the finish on these are...call me a little skeptical.

10. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Wow, $50 for a case, that is 5x more than I would ever spend.

11. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

What a rip-off. Spigen clear TPU for around a tenner £ ($15) does the job perfectly nicely, thank you very much.

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It took them so long to release these. It's a shame too, it looks like the next phone will be similar but maybe just different enough to cause a need for a change in case design. Maybe. I too have been buying the clear covers for about $10 off Amazon and they're great. Lets the phone color show and keeps the additional bulk to a minimum. $50 for a case is not even on my to-do list. I would make one exception and that's for a waterproof case.

13. ricktat macrumors 65816

They have these in stock at Best Buy and on sale as mentioned. They have a matte finish that is a little more grippy than the regular plastic. As long as the colors stay and don't scratch, it will be a good option.

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

No likes to your post yet...
    I buy my cases for protection but wish I could run around naked all day, but I'm constantly moving around.

The cases in this post are way overpriced and for that one can get an otterbox or a lifeproof.

15. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Take a gorgeous piece of tech like the iPhone 6 and plus, Then stick it in a .50 cent piece of plastic. Yuck.

16. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

They should put a hole in the back to show the apple logo.
    Cases look nice though.

17. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

Because they're built with higher quality than the original Specks...

18. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

Yuck...lol ;)

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

One of the most important bits of info often neglected in reviews or write ups on iPhone cases is whether or not the case coloring and materials and finish interfere with the camera flash. So many of the cases I've tried over the many years that I've owned an iPhone with flash capability cause glare that makes photos look washed out or hazy. I've only been able to use black matte cases for this reason.

20. MHenr macrumors member

Almost all decent cases nowadays take care of this by using a generous cutout with black edges. I haven't had this problem in years.

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Som
    A lot of cases designed for women are kind of "blingy" and have the cutout area the same color as the rest of the phone.