Speck Candyshell $35 are you kidding me??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bobioden, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I just got my iPhone 4S a couple days ago. I had the 3G so it was a nice improvement. My 3G had a screen protector on the front, and on the back a BSE skin. It was to me a great combo. I am a person who carries his phone in his back pocket and I have never had a problem.

New phone, glass on front and back. I left the Apple store with the phone and a Speck Candyshell in black with grey. I had it opened and put on the phone for LESS than 2 minutes and rubbed it on my tshirt to get a smudge off and bam, scratch. Anytime I touched the back there were more of them. I like the protection but not how the back looks. in 2 days it is completely full of scratches. The camera area is always full of dust which drives me nuts. if I hadn't been recommended this case by the the Apple Geeks I probably would have read the reviews and made my own decision on whether to buy it or not.

I won a Otterbox Defender from eBay and I am sure it will be way to bulky for me. I want a very miminual case, great of the pocket and doesn't show every little scratch. Is there a case like that out there?

Thanks.

2. vtclan macrumors regular

There are plenty. What type of case are you looking for: bumper, snap on, etc?

3. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

4. DankNugz macrumors regular

You might want to check out a bumper for your iPhone. It barely adds any size to the phone and it has a beveled edge so there is space between the glass and the table or whatever you set the phone down on so it doesn't get scratched.

5. Bobioden thread starter macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Thanks for the replies. Yes I think I would be happy with just a bumper. What is a good bumper? Do you still use a screen to cover the back for some sort of protection? I like like the the locks of the Speck Pixel, also the Switchheasy Reptile.

6. Shield macrumors member

I have the Speck Candyshell Black/Grey combo....in Satin finish. No scratches, protects well, and looks great. Easily my favourite case.

7. DankNugz macrumors regular

Apple makes a bumper for $29. There are also knockoff bumpers on ebay for only $5. Some people use a bumper and put screen protectors on the front and back, some people use the bumper without any screen protectors. It's all personal preference but a screen protector isn't necessary in my opinion. A lot of them have an "orange peel" effect which is highly undesirable to most people.

----------

Thank you for telling me about this. I have the normal glossy candyshell and like the OP, it has tons of scratches. I might have to pick one of these up.

8. Bobioden thread starter macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Thanks again. I will look into the bumpers. I like the Speck case a lot, just not the screeches. I will defiantly look into the Speck Satin. It might be a great option.

9. Shield macrumors member

One thing that I've seen complained about with the Speck Candyshell is some people have experienced the rubber bezel being flaky like a pencil eraser. Although I haven't really experienced this problem....

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Otterbox commuter. Been rocking one for over a month now. Looks great, awesome protection, not too bulky

11. DankNugz macrumors regular

I am currently experiencing that flaky pencil eraser effect on my glossy candyshell. Hopefully I wont have that on my new satin candyshell

12. Bobioden thread starter macrumors 68000

Bobioden

So you don't see any scratches on the back.

13. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

14. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

nope. It's not a gloss finish on the otterbox. It's more of a matte finish. I really like this case but I'm not sure if I'd like it as much if it were two different colors (I have all black)

15. jonquil macrumors newbie

I have the Speck Pixelskin HD, I think it's a great case (the material will not scratch/smudge at all, it's more of a matte TPU than a hard plastic), just know that it gets dirty quickly. But it protects well (I feel safe dropping it, have dropped my phone several times in it, no problem), fits and feels great. It's a relatively slim case with good protection and the texture feels good to hold, again my only gripe is that mine has turned a little brownish all over and I've read from others who also experienced quick discoloration. Overall I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something not too bulky but still protective. Bumpers are much more minimalistic but I personally don't feel comfortable with my phone so exposed, others find bumpers perfect though so it's up to you :eek:

16. keroro macrumors newbie

you could get the TPU material case, by comparing with silicone. TPU will be more strong and its something different than the silicon. the tpu itself won't keep any dust compare to silicon