Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I'm looking for a more rugged case to put on my Sport Watch for hiking or sports. While waiting for my Spigen Rugged Armor I found the Speck CandyShell Fit case in-stock* at my local Best Buy (*it took 15 minutes to find in the back because it didn't even have a shelf tag yet).
If you've seen the CandyShell cases for the phones then you'll immediately recognize the combination of black glossy hard plastic shell and gray matte soft plastic bezel. The semi-rigid case has to be installed and removed with the straps on, but the upside is that you can do this while wearing the Watch. It fits securely enough that I'm not worried about it popping off accidentally. The downside is that the edges of the case can be irritating if you wear your Watch loosely because they wrap around to the back of the Watch body. Tightening the strap so that the Watch doesn't move left small marks in my skin from the edges of the case.
Once my Spigen Rugged Armor arrives I'll be able to compare the two cases directly and choose one. $30 is expensive compared to other case but totally inline with the rest of Speck's cases.

Attachments

• SpeckWatch-1.JPG
    SpeckWatch-1.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 376
  • SpeckWatch-2.JPG
    SpeckWatch-2.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 233
  • SpeckWatch-3.JPG
    SpeckWatch-3.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 243
  • SpeckWatch-4.JPG
    SpeckWatch-4.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 235
  • SpeckWatch-5.JPG
    SpeckWatch-5.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 220

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
the tough armor in my opinion looks decent, but the digital crown becomes a pain in the butt to use.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
I'm going to have to check out my local Best Buy. I didn't think this was out yet since the Speck website is still saying "coming soon." I returned both Rugged Armor and Tough Armor from Spigen although I liked the way they looked. They are just too much hassle to put on/off and I just want something I can slap on before going hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding, etc.

This looks like it'd suit my need. Although I think $30 is a bit steep considering the finishing doesn't even look first rate. Oh well, at least I should be getting my $20 refund soon for the Tough Armor.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Picked one up at bestbuy yesterday, bit bulkier then i imagined but it looks good and prtoective! wish it would fit closer to the straps instead of leaving an opening but it is super easy to put off and on.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
The CandyShell is being returned. The sharp edges were just too uncomfortable when moving around.
I'm now using the Rugged Armor; it's wrap-around design and soft material make it much more comfortable. I agree it's more effort to install/remove compared to the snap-on/off CandyShell. I figure that'll be less of an issue when I get a nice leather band for daily wear and change to the sport band for active use anyway.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
I got one (unfortunately, right before Speck's 30% off sale, but so be it), and I really like it. You can feel the edges, but that doesn't bother me, and I would not have been checking for that but for this thread. What I really like is that it is very easy to install and take off, and it provides great protection. Once on, it doesn't slide around or give any indication that it could pop off (and it hasn't for me). It does give the watch somewhat of an early Pebble look, but I still prefer that so virtually all other bumpers/cases out there. Although I guess you could use it all the time, I think it works best as something you install when needed (for me, on the weekends). If you left it on all the time, grit and debris eventually will get under the case, and that's going to really scratch the watch. At $10-15, it's a no brainer. At $20, you can still justify it because it does work very well. At $30, it's an accessory for an Apple product. If you can handle the two-tone look, maybe wait for another Speck sale or until it hits Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.