Speck Candyshell - I really wanted to like it

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sparkstsa, Nov 11, 2011.

1. sparkstsa macrumors regular

I got my white Speck Candyshell from AT&T today and I really liked it. Looks cool, nice protection... I thought I had finally found the right case for me....

Until I noticed the pencil eraser effect. Its already starting to flake. I have uploaded a few pics. Maybe you can see what I am referring to.

Attached Files:

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

My case is starting to do the same thing. It doesn't bother me much though.

3. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

FWIW, it gets worse. My older 3GS's Candyshell is almost worn completely down on the bottom portion.

It just sucks :(

4. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

That sucks.... Its almost like the Casemate Pop! case I had for my old iPhone 4. That case really was "flaky". I'll give it a few days to grow on me before I make my final decision on keeping it or not.

I also picked up a case from Belkin called the Grip Candy at Walmart. I can't find out anything about it on their site and have seen only a video on youtube, by a kid who reviewed it. It may just be the case I keep. Its matte black on the back and a kinda off-white on the sides. I'll try to take a few pictures of it in the morning. I'm at work right now and didn't bring it with me.

5. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I've had 2 or 3 candyshells. I just bought the same one as yours a few weeks ago but it's not on my phone at the moment so I haven't had any troubles with it. If it starts to flake, I will try to get a refund most likely.

6. pooryou macrumors 65816

Oh I just posted about this in another thread. I got the Speck Candyshell with my iPhone 4S and I think it would do an excellent job of protection, and it's pretty nice. I hate how clunky and big it makes the phone though, so I took it off. Might just have to take my chances going naked, it's so much nicer that way.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

sparkstsa, I have that Grip Candy case you're talking about. I love the way it looks and feels on the phone, but it WILL NOT work with a screen protector on the phone. I've tried everything...but that sharp edge that lays against the screen just keeps lifting the screen protector. I've even tried sanding it down with sand paper to make it more rounded and not as sharp...but no dice. It sucks, too, because I really like it.

On the other hand, I was FINALLY able to find the updated version of the Incipio NGP at Walmart tonight. I can see why it's so highly rated too...it's the translucent smoke version and it feels great in the hand and looks nice.

But, I got my Magpul Field Case in today and I think I've found the winner (at least for today). It fits like a glove, feels amazing in the hand, and works perfectly with a screen protector. I had one for my 3GS before, but always seemed to come back to the Commuter. But I think I'm gonna love the Field Case for a while now. :D

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I've tried this case a few times and the flaking is the main reason I don't like it.

9. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Didn't Speck supposedly reformulate the rubber used in the Candyshell? Have those of you who are having trouble contacted Speck for a possible exchange?

My case might just be too new for me to see a problem, but so far I haven't had any issues with flaking. My only wish is that I had gone with a different color (teal with black trim just doesn't look right with a white phone) and that I had gotten the card case version. C'est la vie.

10. stevendphoto macrumors member

just got the Candy Shell in Snakebite Green, looks ok so far...

11. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Same story here, brought mine back to the Apple Store today. One day of use and I had the pencil effect.

I'm having a hard time with cases for my 4S, I have a Pixelskin HD on right now and I like it but It's starting to crack around the camera hole.
    Why are all these cases so defective?!

I need to go on a case hunt, that's what I'll do with my night. Better get the cheez-its :D

12. ninerfan macrumors regular

I have the white with pink trim and it is still perfect. Got it the day of the 4s launch so have used it for four weeks now with no sign of flaking.

13. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I just bought mine last month so it is one of the ones with the "new" formula. My flaking is not as bad as the above photos, but it is there. I'm not too bothered by it, and I don't know if I even have the receipt anymore.

14. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

Cant believe Speck have this kind of quality issue... even a CHEAP copy won't have this problem... RETURN it and GET the refund... that the reason to get a case from APPLE store

15. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I had the last version of the CandyShell. It had badddd flaking. Speck said they'd replace it for me because they had a faulty formula when mine was made. I didn't go through the hassle of doing this though.

I bought the latest version with my 4S, and it has the same problem, just not AS bad as my other one.

So now I wonder, is this how the case is supposed to be? What annoys me, is that everything else about the case is amazing. SUPER protective (trust me, I've had a lot of drops) Maybe they just had another problem at the factory this time? Or maybe this is the "proper" formula? (if so, it sucks) Hopefully they fix their shipments and they offer replacements again

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I had the white with pink trim as well and had no issues with the trim flaking. However I ended up giving it away as I didn't like that the plastic scratched by looking at it and I didn't the bulkiness of it. I went through multiple purchases to find my ultimate favorite for my white iPhone which is the white Sonix Snap. Love the fit, thin minimalistic design and soft touch material that does not scratch at all.

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I highly recommend the Incase Slider Pro. Very dope case. They sell them @ Best Buy.

18. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The Candyshell could be my favorite case but the rubber bezel keeps wearing.

19. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

Finally got some pics of my Belkin Grip Candy. I'm really liking the case. Really like the matte finish. The only cons I have, which are minor, is the white is kinda an off-white and the on/off switch is just a little stiff. The camera cutout is a little big, but not as big as the Speck Candyshell. BTW... the apple logo on the back is a luckylabs sticker.

Attached Files:

20. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

Because of the 5 picture upload limit.... here is the last pic showing the back of the case.

Attached Files:

21. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

Everyone I know who has the Candyshell has had it start to fall apart and flake on them after only a few months. After a year of use it looks like hell.

22. Sonisk macrumors member

I got mine this wednessday (the 9th), and it's flaking in the right lower corner allready :(

23. The Toddler macrumors member

The Toddler

Why isn't the grip candy on the Belkin site? Looks like a a promising case.

24. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I want it.

25. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had mine for 3 weeks...no problems of any kind. I carry in my back pocket and take it in and out too many times to count daily - still looks like new!!