Speck CandyShell or iSkin Solo

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bigv11, Aug 13, 2010.

1. bigv11 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide on what case to get for my iPhone 4 but I am stuck between these two cases and was hoping you guys could answer some questions and tell me which one you would get and why. It's either the Speck CandyShell in the black and grey color or the iSkin Solo in the black color. I hear that the CandyShell has problems with it flaking and the flash but that Speck fixed it. So if I go with that case how will I know that I am getting the revised version. I would probably buy it off amazon if I went with this one. Next, the Solo says that it won't ship for 1 to 2 weeks. I like this one a little better than the CandyShell but I want a case as soon as possible. Do you guys know of anyplace that have these in stock that I can get as soon as possible? I also plan to get a screen protector, leaning towards the SGP oleophobic and what to make sure it would work with either case. Thanks.

2. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I'd reccommend getting the CandyShell, but just make sure it's one of the updated models. Those seem to fix all the issues of the first release of this case for the iPhone 4. I received my iSkin Solo yesterday, and it's suffering from the same problem regarding the power button as many other users who have received this case. It fits far too tightly around the power/sleep button, holding it down and causing the slide to power off to constantly pop up. The case looks great, but is unusable in this state. You can read about the problem on iSkin's page dedicated to it here: http://blog.myiskin.com/dressing-solo

3. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

The Revised Candyshells fix the problem with flaking and flash, The iSkin Solo's don't really have a problem with the home button, Just do as the website says to put it on and you wont have the issue anymore. It comes down to Thickness VS Protectiveness. Obviously the Candyshell will protect a whole lot better but its also a whole lot thicker and bulkier than the Solo's.

4. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

It's not the home button, it's the power button on top. I have several of the cases, and I can attest to the issue on all of them. There's no way to fix it either. As soon as you do the "fix" issued by iSkin and then use the button several times, the case shifts (I assume due to the slack generated by the needless slits in the top of the case that allow play), the problem reoccurs again. It might not be a problem on every Solo, but I know it's an issue on all of mine. Not to mention the people also listing it as an issue on the iSkin's own site I linked to.

5. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Bahh Home button Power button same thing XD, On the iSkin Solo thread on here every1 was saying it fixed the problem :\

Has any1 tried boiling it yet lmao?

But on a serious note what is up with case manufactures? I can't even find a good case to buy (now, not in 2-4 weeks) that doesn't have a problem lol. Even the Power support films are having issues.

6. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

The "fix" does work for a bit, but handling the phone/pressing the power button many times/taking in and out of your pocket seems to shift the case around a lot and the problem reoccurs when the top of the case shifts back on top of the power button. At least on all of mine. It seems that the allowances they made for the power button were very tight, and the case shifts and the power button comes out of the little "hole" made in the case for it, and is then covered by the thicker part of the case around the button, which holds it down permanently. You have to do the "trick" listed on the iSkin site of lifting the top part of the case up and down a few times to realign it, but then soon after the problem happens again. I've emailed them requesting a refund for all of mine. The case is promising, but I can't use them currently. And yes, I've followed the iSkin instructions for putting them on.

7. bigv11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I am also open to suggestions too if you can recommend a better case then the ones I have already listed.

8. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I would recommend the incase slider, as it's a great case that is very slim, has no camera flash issues, but you say that you want to use a screen protector, and this case is just too tight fitting to use one without making it bubble at the edges. All in all I'd say the CandyShell, just make sure it's the new version. The new verisons were supposed to be getting into the AT&T stores this week, so check around and you might find one. You can spot them by the large symmetrical oval opening for the camera and flash. The first version had an opening that was asymmetrical and cut very close around the camera flash (shaped like a keyhole).

9. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

I say get the Speck Pixelskin HD, Its a TPU case like the iSkin Solo. Im going to be getting it with the free case program. Just gotta figure out another case to use while that 1 ships. It's a great case, Doesn't have the flash problem or any problems with the buttons.

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/pixelskin-hd/iphone-4/243

10. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

OOOhhh...sh**, that reminds me, forgot about another of my favorite cases (can you tell I already buy way too many of these things?)...the Speck Geometric. It's the same material as the PixelSkin HD, just with a unique back design. GREAT fit, slim, doesn't pick up lint/stick to your pockets, and you can use a thin screen protector with it. It's fit is identical to the PixelSkin HD that CJ mentioned, but has the triangle patterns on the back that add a really nice feeling to the plain back of the phone. Great case, and is an available alternative to the PixelSkin HD (both by Speck). Good recommendation CJ!

11. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Lol I really like the Geometric too. I like that the buttons are like pushed out further than the Pixelskin HD and other TPU cases. My only gripe is your going to have to keep wiping fingerprints off the glossy parts on the back :p But thats just my OCD self lol.