Speck CandyShell or OtterBox Commuter for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by in0va3, Dec 11, 2010.

1. in0va3 macrumors member

I'm currently using the CandyShell but what I dislike so much about it is the visibility of scratches. I've searched for other cases similar to the CandyShell but only the Commuter is on sale at Amazon. And here comes the question, does the Commuter offer the same protection of two layers? I really like the CandyShell but just can't stand all those scratches, I wanted a softer back cover like Incipio Destroyer but isn't on sale at Amazon with my gift cards. Commuter also seems too thin for the silicone so I wouldn't know unless I have the case on hand. Thanks!

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Well a case is meant to get scratches no doubt about it, unless there's a magical "REAL ANTI SCRATCH" material. I also have the CandyShell, the White and the Black case. I must say scratches are visible, but hey. To be all honest with this. seeing all those scratches proves to everyone how strong that case actually is. The Commuter offers much greater protection though. IMO it really does. My friend owns a Otterbox, and boy it's really bulky which i don't like but provides excellent protection, and doesn't really show scratches. Unless you take a key and Nail it down hard!

All in all I'd stick with the Speck CandyShell, for the stylish and protection it gives you.

3. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I really like my splash cruiser case. It's a hard shell soft touch slide on case and is durable and offers good protection.

4. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

The commuter is amazing. built in port covers, 2 layers. Its pretty thin but also very protective. It can handle most drops and bumps

5. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

I know that cases are bound to be scratched because we always lay it on a table which would scratch the two surfaces on contact easily. But the CandyShell is particularly visible because of it's piano black color.

Also, the CandyShell's cover is polycarbonate so when it's scratched, it does not have that same smooth surface again only because it's all scratched up. I find the Commuter's back shell better but not as good as CandyShell's protection when covering the iPhone. Some reviews also say that the Commuter moves out of place when on the silicone. I wouldn't like that... :(

I've seen Incipio's cases like it's Silicylic. It's like the Commuter but the silicone is awfully thin. On the CandyShell, it's rubber and polycarbonate covers almost everything which includes the sides and the back. Commuter uses the silicone for the sides and the back but leaves the plastic cover attached to the back of the silicone which isn't as good as the CandyShell.

6. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

I saw your review of the OtterBox Impact. Does it fit my preferences? Since also speculated it the silicone doesn't seem to fit the phone tightly which is why it turns me off.. :mad:

7. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Hmm, thanks a hard decision but I think I'd have to pick the Commuter for sure.

8. cole01 macrumors 6502

Maybe you should check out the casemate tough case?

I previously had a candyshell and a commuter and disliked them both for various reasons. The way the candyshell shows scratches and wear is unacceptable regardless of how much it costs. I know it's just a case but come on, I've had tons of polycarbonate cases over the years and none of them have shown wear this quickly. I ditched the commuter because I found the overall look somewhat tacky especially with the cutout for the apple symbol in the back. It provided great protection but I hated the way it looked.

The tough case seems to be a good compromise between the two even if the silicone feels a little flimsy near the dock connector.

Edit: oops, just read that the candyshell and commuter are your only options. In that unfortunate case I'd have to go with the commuter.

9. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

+1

10. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

The Impact is Okay, its not as tight as I wanted it to be, but I think that they may have made it like that because it'd be a pain to get off the phone. Trust me when I say the commuter is exactly what you need

11. JASApplications macrumors 65816

+1. Has a slight edge on the Candyshell.

12. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Yeah, the Impact doesn't have much protection, silicone cases aren't always great for drop protection.

13. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Actually the impact has a ton of protection from drops. I have dropped my phone a ton of times in the impact and have zero issue with it in that regard.

The impact picks up way too much lint but other than that it is a great silicone case that offers a ton of protection.

To note, I have a Wrapsol Ultra on my phone that I got from Amazon for 10 bucks. With that on (including the sides) the fit of the Impact is actually a fine fit with little movement. With the phone naked, it is loose internally.

So for 20 dollars (the Wrapsol and the Impact were 10 each) you get a great protective set up.

As for the TC's question, if you can withstand the scratches (get the white one) the Candyshell is a simple solution that will protect with little issue.

The commuter is good but the silicone stuck to my pocket when I used it and the port cover on the bottom was a little loose. Also I had to physically bend the plastic shell into place since it was too loose over the silicone.

With that said, I used the commuter for a longer period of time than the Candyshell. It actually feels a little more solid than the candyshell not to mention thinner. The candyshell is a simpler case that is a no muss no fuss style. The commuter is one of those that takes some time to get used to but I think it will provide better overall protection.

14. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

+1 On That

15. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My mistake, i actually wanted to ask for opinions whether i should get the commuter or other cases but similar to the candyshell as i like the candshell very much because of its simple design but still great protection exept that it shows scratches. The ones ive seen that i kind of prefer are the otterbox commuter and impact. I havent seen those on hand so i dont know but i want a case thats rigid as candyshell when holdig on the hand. I used to use silicone cases and those were flimsy as they would flip out of the phone wjen getting out of my pocket. So what i really want is about the same size and design like the candyshell when held on hand. How does the size of the commuter compare to thecandyshell? Im also afraid the silicone would again, rub out of my phone. And i want the silicone to be thick which is about the size of candshell's rubber or impact. Other case suggestions are fine as long as they sell it on amazon because amazon provides cheaper prices!

16. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

I just went Into an att store with so many incipio cases, candyshell, and ballistic sg. Ive searched those on the internet beforehand but none of them are sold in amazon. The ballistic sg seems really great as a candyshell alternative. Inccipio's destroyer has a hard plastic which seemed too cheap. I just didnt want to Pay $35 for the sg plus tax!

17. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

Ballistic SG is just like the OB Commuter. except that the plastic wraps all 4 sides so no loose silicone problems.

Another case would be the Incipio NGP - $20 at wal-mart

18. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I have the white moonsicle candyshell and it doesn't show scratches.