Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

ndb85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
My fiancée has the inked case and her's does not spin, so I think there is some truth to that. Mine is/was the plain black/gray case.

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Went to Microcenter today and they had a good selection of Candyshell cases, white/black, gray/yellow, red/black and the Grip in Blue. I opened over 12 cases to test for the "spin" issue and each had it! So I decided to go with the grip in blue. Very please with it!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 78

Dino F

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Went to Microcenter today and they had a good selection of Candyshell cases, white/black, gray/yellow, red/black and the Grip in Blue. I opened over 12 cases to test for the "spin" issue and each had it! So I decided to go with the grip in blue. Very please with it!

.....I had a grip case of my iPhone 5 however, I found that the constant in and out of the case from my pockets, wears down the grippy rubbery lines on the back of the case to the point that the lines start peeling away from the case.

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
.....I had a grip case of my iPhone 5 however, I found that the constant in and out of the case from my pockets, wears down the grippy rubbery lines on the back of the case to the point that the lines start peeling away from the case.

Yeah had the same thing on my previous iPhone but it took more than a year to happen. Just about a good time to get something new anyway.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I feel as if Speck's quality is mostly garbage now. I've had them on all of my MBPs and my latest one was cracked around the stress points on the covers after putting it on. I was reading that this is common with Speck cases and that if I wanted a replacement, I'd have to send it out and would be without a case on my computer until I got the new one and I use it daily and travel with it daily. I don't see the point in doing that if I'm just going to receive a new case that will crack as soon as I put it on.

It's a shame though, because Speck used to make good products.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I feel as if Speck's quality is mostly garbage now. I've had them on all of my MBPs and my latest one was cracked around the stress points on the covers after putting it on. I was reading that this is common with Speck cases and that if I wanted a replacement, I'd have to send it out and would be without a case on my computer until I got the new one and I use it daily and travel with it daily. I don't see the point in doing that if I'm just going to receive a new case that will crack as soon as I put it on.

It's a shame though, because Speck used to make good products.

Yeah, just everything else. They got bigger and more popular, probably started building more stuff at larger factories for lower prices, and quality suffers as a result. I haven't been as happy with my recent Speck purchases as I have been with stuff from years ago (cases for iPhones and MacBooks, bags, etc.).

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I have a tech21 impact tactical case for my 6+. I like the look of it, and its nice that its thin, but it doesnt seem very protective and the material is insanely slippery.

I returned my Speck grip and got the Tech21 classic check. What I don't like is lip just about clears my glass screen protector..... and the hunt for a great case continues.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
So...i had the same issue with the candyshell not sitting flat, making typing tough without holding the device while it was laying on a desk. Tonight, I decided I was going to try fixing it, as I haven't had any luck finding another case I like better than this one...

and it worked! All it took was a heat gun set to low heat, wave it over the back of the phone for 5 to 10 seconds, and use a bit of force with a towel (don't want to lose any fingerprints) to push in the center for a couple of seconds at a time. Repeated the above steps for about 5 minutes, and now it's flat as can be.

The heat didn't harm either the inner nor outer shells, and I can now press down on the center of the case while it's on the phone, and you can't feel an air gap anymore. MUCH BETTER!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.