Speck CandyShell vs Switcheasy TRIM

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by KJmoon117, Oct 25, 2011.

1. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Any suggestions guys?

I have an iPhone 4S black and I want to get one of the cases in black but they are both backordered till God knows when. I've heard that both offer good protection but the TRIM is a little sharp on the edges and deteriorates quicker while the CandyShell is much tougher but slightly bulkier. I like the feel of CandyShell but I haven't ever felt TRIM to judge.

So what are your experiences with these cases? Which would you say offers better protection? (In terms of aesthetics, they both look great to me but the TRIM does seem tad cooler looking)

2. yrrej macrumors regular

i have the switcheasy trim in blue and i think it is a very solid case. the combination of the soft sides and hard back is very unique and makes the phone feel very protected. the sides get a little bit dirty because of the grooves but its not a major problem. if you have a white iphone the blue/red/white all look great.

it also comes with a large amount of accessories which is pretty cool.

i haven't tried the speck candy shell but they definitely look a lot bulkier than the trim.

3. The Toddler macrumors member

The Toddler

I've seen black Candyshells in my local Apple Stores as recently as four days ago, so that might be worth checking out.

It's a great case, but I vetoed it for two and a half reasons -- it is a little on the big side to carry in your pocket (though not as big as it may appear in pictures), the rubber edges are too "grippy" to easily get out of the pocket, and the half reason is that the headphone hole is not very big.

4. ninerfan macrumors regular

Have the white/pink Candy Shell to go with my white 4S. I can honestly tell you it is the best case I have ever used, hands down!!

5. HenryHealy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

From personal experience, DO NOT BUY THE CANDYSHELL! I bought one and the case has actually fallen apart. Above the ports and the rubber has come off.

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have the Candy Shell in white with pink trim. If you don't mind a bulky case then it's okay. It probably does provide really good protection with the rubber inside coating and does fit the phone rather well. I can say the overall quality of my case was fine. My main issue with this case is that scratches like crazy. Literally had scratches on it from the sales rep putting it on in the store. I put it in and out of a clean pocket in my purse over the course of a few days and it is all scratched up. I purchased in the AT&T store so for the full price of $34.95 I wouldn't have expected the material to scratch so easily.

I have this case just hanging around as I've moved on. As I probably won't be using it again, I'd be happy to send it to anyone who wants it for the price of shipping. Only used for less than a week.

7. cicianne macrumors newbie

Omg I literally just registered for the forum just so I can reply to your post and beg you to please send me the case :/ I've heard about how it scratches easily and so was trying to find somewhere to get it discounted but no luck. If you're still willing to send it, I'm more than willing to take it :) My iPhone 4s should be arriving in a week so it's perfect timing

8. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

PM me with your address and I'll send it out this morning. When you get it please send me the postage. Glad to have it get a new home.

9. cicianne, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

cicianne macrumors newbie

I can't figure out how to PM you but I live on a college campus so I don't mind posting my address on here. I can always delete it once you copy it down. My address is:

I really really appreciate you doing this! :) I've been searching so hard for this case. If you need more info, I guess you can PM me. That way, I'll probably figure out how to PM when I reply back. Thanks!!

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I'll put this in the mail to you today (already have it packed and ready to go). Will it get to you without the last name? If not, e-mail me at nhwhazup@yahoo.com.

11. DNAppleGold, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

DNAppleGold macrumors regular

Interesting that most have focused on the candyshell. I've got the Trim and like it in many respects, however, there is one big drawback - it gets filthy. After a month it was practically brown in many spots. Just gross. It made me switch cases to Speck GemShell (clear). Too bad because I liked it in many respect.

Pros

• snug fit
    • feels like it provides decent protection without a lot of bulk
    • Excellent screen protector (and I hate most screen protectors, but this one seems like it has very little impact on feel/brightness)
    • Ridged edges give you a VERY good grip. I can't see me dropping this. Does not feel rubbery

Cons
    • Get's dirty and is hard to clean. After a month, it looked very brown.
    • Not easy to take off. If you like switching cases, this is not for you.

Update: After a fe

12. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

If I HAD to pick between those? The TRIM. Candyshell was a tad bulky for me. Me though? After a good gaming session, the grooves on the TRIM started to hurt my hand a bit.