Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
I got case crown which I'm returning. I went to the ATT store yesterday and got a Speck Candyshell which I like better but I'm concerned that since it is so glossy, I'm going to lose my grip. They did not have any others in the store to try so I have to order a different one online. Since I don't want to keep paying return shipping, I'd like some opinions on the candyshell grip or the candyshell satin. I don't think I need the pixel and don't really like the look of it. The description says the satin gives a grippy feel, but not sure if that is enough or the grip case would be better. Anyone who has tried both?

Part of my problem is that I have Raynaud's so my hands get very cold and in the winter in the house I usually need to wear thin fingerless gloves. I just know that the regular glossy case will get dropped with those.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Its really not bad at all. With gloves it is a bit more slippery than I'd like, but I rarely wear gloves, even in the winter.

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC
If you order directly from Speck's website and you live in the US, you don't have to pay shipping on returns. Speck actually includes a prepaid FedEx label with your order. So what you can do (and what I've done in the past) is order a bunch of different stuff to try out and just return what you end up not liking for a full refund.

For what it's worth, I have 2 Candyshells (white/black and red/black) and a Pixelskin HD (black). The Candyshells both scratch, but it's definitely less noticeable on the white. I've also found that the rubber parts tend to flake a little bit. I love the Pixelskin because it isn't excessively bulky yet provides good drop protection, plus the material feels really nice. I almost wish they'd replace the rubber parts of the Candyshell with the Pixelskin material.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I have tried all of the above and it's quite frankly a trade off with what you want.

CandyShell - light colors of this case hide scratching and fingerprints way better than dark colors, slides easy in and out of pocket, holding the case never feels like it will slide out of your hand, corners of case are more square in design, killer protection.

CandyShell Grip - not as easy to slide in and out of pocket but it gives way better grip in the hand, lighter colors of this case will hide scratches and fingerprints much better, rounded corners on this case vs. square which to me makes this case feel slimmer than the CandyShell, this is my top pick case of all the CandyShells

CandyShell Satin - pretty much the same as the CandyShell but the finish is satin like vs glossy. While this prevents the case from scratching darker colors will show fingerprints and in my case the white version of this case can get dirty somewhat over time.

Hope this helps you out in your quest for a case. :apple:

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies, I got the grip case. It feels much more secure to me.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
I have tried all of the above and it's quite frankly a trade off with what you want.

CandyShell - light colors of this case hide scratching and fingerprints way better than dark colors, slides easy in and out of pocket, holding the case never feels like it will slide out of your hand, corners of case are more square in design, killer protection.

CandyShell Grip - not as easy to slide in and out of pocket but it gives way better grip in the hand, lighter colors of this case will hide scratches and fingerprints much better, rounded corners on this case vs. square which to me makes this case feel slimmer than the CandyShell, this is my top pick case of all the CandyShells

CandyShell Satin - pretty much the same as the CandyShell but the finish is satin like vs glossy. While this prevents the case from scratching darker colors will show fingerprints and in my case the white version of this case can get dirty somewhat over time.

Hope this helps you out in your quest for a case. :apple:

Great info. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.