Speck Candyshell's for iPhone 5 - Durable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lawlbringer, Oct 19, 2012.

1. lawlbringer macrumors regular

Just wondering how well these things hold up with modest usage. I'm pretty careful with my stuff, but I've heard of these having issues after a few WEEKS. I don't really expect this to last forever, but at least a year or so would be fine for me.

So, anyone using one right now with feedback?

2. bryann9182 macrumors regular

They'll scratch almost instantly because its a shiny plastic material on the outside. I have two of them and neither of mine sit flat on a table or desk. Theres a little area on the back where I can push on where the case doesn't sit flush to the back of the phone.

Feels great in the hand though and feels sturdy enough to protect well from moderate drops

3. i1100 macrumors newbie

I've already used the glossy, matte, and grip versions on my 5. The matte was the worst, the matte coating rubs off with the slightest scratch and it is glossy under that. Also very rough molding remnants. The glossy had a better finish quality but would scratch instantly. I find the grip version is the best, the benefits of high quality finish of the gloss with raised sections on the back to keep it from getting scratched. Also the grip has a different bezel than the others, slightly thinner and flatter, which seems to fix my other problem with the other two where the bezel would start rubbing off like an eraser would.

4. Huginnmuninn macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

I have the Candyshell for my iPod Touch. Solid case, but the bottom lip snapped off after two years. I'm still using it, still like it.

5. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Super durable. The only problems I see is swirling of the glossy finish and possible flaking of the rubber. The gray rubber on my black candyshell is flaking, but the teal rubber on my sister's white candyshell is perfect.

6. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Seems pretty durable to me. I have the Candyshell flip. It seems pretty durable, as I've dropped it three times already. The only issue, is the back gets scuff marks pretty easily. Its a great case though, and very thin. So far, its possibly the best case that I've used on a phone.