Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Just wondering how well these things hold up with modest usage. I'm pretty careful with my stuff, but I've heard of these having issues after a few WEEKS. I don't really expect this to last forever, but at least a year or so would be fine for me.

So, anyone using one right now with feedback?

bryann9182

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
They'll scratch almost instantly because its a shiny plastic material on the outside. I have two of them and neither of mine sit flat on a table or desk. Theres a little area on the back where I can push on where the case doesn't sit flush to the back of the phone.

Feels great in the hand though and feels sturdy enough to protect well from moderate drops

i1100

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
I've already used the glossy, matte, and grip versions on my 5. The matte was the worst, the matte coating rubs off with the slightest scratch and it is glossy under that. Also very rough molding remnants. The glossy had a better finish quality but would scratch instantly. I find the grip version is the best, the benefits of high quality finish of the gloss with raised sections on the back to keep it from getting scratched. Also the grip has a different bezel than the others, slightly thinner and flatter, which seems to fix my other problem with the other two where the bezel would start rubbing off like an eraser would.

Huginnmuninn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
I have the Candyshell for my iPod Touch. Solid case, but the bottom lip snapped off after two years. I'm still using it, still like it.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Super durable. The only problems I see is swirling of the glossy finish and possible flaking of the rubber. The gray rubber on my black candyshell is flaking, but the teal rubber on my sister's white candyshell is perfect.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Seems pretty durable to me. I have the Candyshell flip. It seems pretty durable, as I've dropped it three times already. The only issue, is the back gets scuff marks pretty easily. Its a great case though, and very thin. So far, its possibly the best case that I've used on a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.