Speck CanyShell vs. Incipio Duroshot DRX

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mantic, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mantic macrumors 6502a

I've gone through 3 CanyShell cases on my iPhone 3GS and liked it well enough--aside from the bottom cross bar accentually breaking and having to be removed/cut off.

Will be upgrading to an iPhone 4 this weekend after submerging my 3GS over New Years. The two cases that I'm most interested in are:

-The Speck Candyshell
    -The Incipio Duroshot DRX

What are the pros and cons of each case? Which would you prefer?

2. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

My DuroShot DRX is coming in the Mail in the next few days and I already have the candyshell. I'll get back to you once I have it

3. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Well, the Speck CandyShell has more protection, the Duroshot is basicAlly the NGP with some hard pladtic lining and a little different looking.

4. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

Although the NGP is a very protective case, I'd trust my NGP in a drop just as much the candyshell. The 2 times I've dropped my phone, it was in the NGP. 1 was on Concrete and the other on our tile floor. Came out both times with both the case and phone unharmed

5. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

No, no, I completely agree with you, I've dropped my phone from about 5 feet with this case and nothings happened. This has been my main case. I'm just saying with the Duroshots polycarbonate lining it may not be as shock absorbing as the NGP.

6. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

I'll be sure to check out how that works out. Cuz the DRX seems like NGP crossed with Silicrylic

7. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I'm interested to see what the DRX looks like, haven't heard much about it on these forums.

8. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

The only Con with the Candyshell is the flaking. Outside of that issue it is great. Great protection and looks good (if they have a color scheme you like). I had the black version for my 3G and went with the white for my 4 (it doesn't show scratches on the back of the case).

9. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, flaking is the experience I had with the case(s) for my 3GS. I guess the issue has followed into their new products. I will say this, however. Whenever I had issues with my cases I was simply instructed to send picture documentation and a short description of the issue to Speck. Once they reviewed the material I was sent a new case free of charge.

I guess what I'm really looking for here is more in-depth experiences with the DRX case. Especially from those who have owned both cases in question. Compared to other cases, there isn't much in the way of talk/information available for the DRX going past the basic unboxing and initial impression of users.

10. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not much input. Think I'm going to order the DRX-just for something new.

11. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

While I haven't used the iPhone 4 one I have seen it in person. I do own one for my iPod touch 3g though.

They are both about the same actually with the iPhone 4 being more brick-like because of the square shape of the phone. The difference was the cut out at the bottom.

Now personally I like it on the iTouch. It has a frame inside that goes through to the outside though it is still one piece overall. Looking at the picture on their site (http://www.myincipio.com/iPhone-4-C...-Soft-Shell-Case-with-Polycarbonate-Frame.asp), the grey is actually plastic and the black is a TPU-style material. The plastic and TPU goes all the way through meaning there is no true inner lining but the TPU sticks up so it provides shock absorbtion at least on the iTouch. I assume it would do the same on the iPhone 4 one since it did look that way when I saw it.

The DRX will look better for a lot longer than the Candyshell obviously since it has a lot less exposed plastic and the iTouch version weighs a little less with less bulk due to it not have 2 full layers. The Candyshell is thicker because it literally has 2 layers (the rubber and the plastic) while the DRX mixes the two pieces together I like the bottom cutout better on the Candyshell than the DRX. It feels more supportive and secure.

I think the iPhone 4 is more secure in the Candyshell but overall not by much. The DRX on my iTouch took some abuse over the summer as it was my go to until I got a Defender for it. My only true issue with the DRX for the iPhone 4 is the asking price. 35 bucks is too expensive for this kind of case including the Candyshell too. With that said, you can get a Candyshell for $10-20 on Amazon now (I just got another white one last week for 9.99).

I'm hopefully getting a DRX sent to me in a couple of weeks. One of my contacts only sent me the Bombproof and an NGP for the Nano 6g. She said she would include a DRX for the iPhone 4 in the next package.

12. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the in-depth response. The price of the DRX is slightly offensive in comparison to other cases offering similar protection. I could buy 3 Candyshell cases of various colors for the price of just one DRX. I'm starting to lean more in this direction. It's funny how indecisive one can be and critical this process becomes. All for a silly, dispensable, phone case. It's almost perverse.

13. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

How could you buy 3 candyshells for the price of a DRX?? They're both $35..

14. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

A simple search should reveil several sources. The "tried and true" amazon.com seems to be a popular choice. Cheers.

15. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Anyone know if those cases have the old keyhole camera cutouts? Some of the reviews indicate flash problems. There are so many different sellers, I guess it's impossible to know what you'll end up with.

Also: just received my DRX in the mail today and absolutely love it. I love the candyshells, but they're so bulky. The DRX is perfect. No regrets! :)

16. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

Agreed, and yes the Amazon ones are Keyhole cutouts.. So after you get them, you'll have to pay to ship them to Speck to have them replaced for new ones. Since now they changed their warranty policy

17. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that appears to be the case. I'm not sure going through all that would be worth the trouble. However, I've found Speck's customer service to be top notch.

18. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

Ok anyways, now that I own both - here's the Pros and Cons of Each

Candyshell
    -Pros: Really good protection, Stylish, Different Types Available (Card, Flip, etc.), Tons of Colors to Suit your style.
    -Cons: A bit on the bulky side, Flaking Problem, Back gets scratched up easily

DRX
    -Pros: Slim, Tight Fitting, Really Tactile Buttons, Good Grip w/ Soft Touch Finish, Bigger Cutouts so more accessories are compatible, Screen Shield Included
    -Cons: A bit pricy compared to the NGP.

Overall: DRX - Although it is a bit pricy, it doesn't suffer from the Problems that the candyshell does. Some of the darker CS cases can look downright ugly after they get scratched up. Plus more tactile buttons and the Slimmer form factor make it a winner for me

19. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I bought a Moonsicle White off of Amazon last week and it was the new style cutout.

I bought mine for a company on there called "setbuy" but it was fulfilled by Amazon so it came from their current stock of items. You can select it under the buy menu if you wnat but you shouldn't have to since it came from their current stock of items.

Order direct from Amazon now should result in the new style. Make sure it says Amazon when you buy it since it isn't set to that by default when I checked a few minutes ago.

The price has gone up to 13 bucks though as I bought mine for 9.99.

As for the TC's original question, now that I have both cases in front of me I still say, that despite the scratching which is bad and the flaking that goes away after a couple of days (really it is an issue that has been blown out of proportion) the Candyshell is still the way to go.

Cheaper price, better protection, and still not much bigger in size than the DRX. It does weigh slightly more but really isn't noticeable unless you compare them side by side. Also, as a personal preference I like the bottom cut out on the Candyshell better. More solid and again, more protection.

If you want the DRX, I would recommend getting the NGP instead. $20 bucks for the NGP, even cheaper if you shop around online. The NGP offers the same level of protection and it weighs less all the while still feeling as solid as the DRX does. The thin plastic frame on the DRX adds nothing but aesthetics to the case really.

20. buffgrk macrumors member

im also contemplating between the candyshell or the drx or even NGP

21. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Another competing case is the Casemate Pop. Also the Seetrough Matte is very similar to the candyshell but without the flaking and scratching.

22. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the reply. I think I might try that.