Speck Case 15" MacBook Pro - A good investment?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaron.lee2006, May 31, 2007.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

So I have a second replacement machine coming and I want to take extra good care of this one. Will a Speck case help me with this. I heard they cause scratches in some cases rather then protect them... Anyone had any experience with these?

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I've been pondering whether to buy one if the MBP's are updated next month as I've always been nervous when I put my Powerbook in those airport bins and risked scratching the bottom. They seem to be pretty form fitting although I wonder what could possibly scratch the finish of laptops? Perhaps dust or dirt that is caught in between?

3. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

GYMNUT your sig is now my senior quote, just thought you should know

4. tango554 macrumors member

I personally think the speck case doesn't look that good, and it only protects against scratches. I went for the bestskinsever (invishield clone). I think it will provide similar protection the speck case would give and does not add ANY bulk or weight.

For impact protection, I bought a marware sportfolio sleeve.

must keep stuff shiny! :)

5. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Love my Speck case

I have a new 15" MBP and bought the red Speck hard case. Recently switched to Apple from Dell notebooks. The problem I found with aluminum cases was they're slippery to hold and scratch easily so the Speck case was the best solution I found. I also wanted something that stayed on the notebook while in use.

I've use Invisible Shield products in the past but they are a pain to apply and very difficult to get on without air bubbles especially if applying big pieces. You must clean the laptop thoroughly before clicking on the Speck case otherwise dirt can cause scratches.

Added weight is negligible as is the loss of screen tilt. Speck case provides some protection when putting laptop down but if you drop your laptop I doubt it will help much.

Only complaint I have about Speck cases is that many that are being sold still have the problem where you must file down the edge of the case yourself to make it fit. Check Speck website for details - not hard to do but ridiculous considering price paid. I just bought mine from Seattle Apple Store so there are still old stock circulating that requires this mod.

6. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

any kind of case is good investment on your investment of a $2500 computer.

7. iBecks macrumors 6502

I have a speck case and it protects my MBP from scratches and small knocks, although it shows fingerprints up really well.

I also had to file down the edges at the back near the hinges to get the case to fit, took about 2 minutes.

I complained to Speck and they sent me another free of charge, so I have a black case and a red case for my MBP.

I have a brand new, unused red Speck see-thru case for sale, if anyone wants it.

8. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

if you still have it, what price as you asking??