Speck case causing pitting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gaura Mohana, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Gaura Mohana, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012

Gaura Mohana macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Hi
    I'be had a speck case on my MBP since day one, and now there are things that look like pitting. There are a few on the lid, but a ton the bottom. Here are pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and there are over 10-20 of these on the bottom case
    I did take the case of every month or so to clean the dust inside
    Let this be a warning to others!
    My question is: is there anyways to get rid of these dots? Is speck responsible? What can be done?

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

No pictures? My MBP and MBA have had Speck shells from day one and show no pitting or damage at all....Dampness is usually responsible fro things like this...Was the Mac completely dry when you installed the shells?

3. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

Hundred percent sure! every time I put it on, the computer was dry..
    BTW to clarify, it's not pitting. It's more like dots.
    I put 2 pictures. are you sure you cant see them?

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I can see them now, not sure if that's pitting, or maybe ground in specks of dirt.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To my knowledge the Speck cases have always allowed a bit of dirt under the case causing people to remove the case frequently to clean it. This is pretty much how any case with any opening would function as well. I've heard a lot of positive about the Speck cases but also a good deal of negative (they scratch and allow too much dirt in). It may be ground in dirt like MacMan said which ultimately makes pits in the aluminum.

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

True, I do remove them once a month and clean both the Mac's and the covers.

7. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Is there anything that can be done about this?

8. hajime macrumors 68040

To avoid dirt getting inside the area between the case and the MBP, can we use Scotch tape or some kind of removable gel to seal the gaps? Then, we don't need to worry about dirt getting in to scratch the laptop.

9. AppChat macrumors regular

should should ahve read the flipping instructions

ur suppose to take it off once and a while to remove dirt and debris build up

its not the case that nicks and scratches ur macbook , its the dirt and debris

ur incompatence result in this from happening

10. ELA2 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

That is why you get a zagg skin instead of these idiotic cases. Makes the computer look like crap, crap can still get in no matter how careful you are, and you still have to follow this pain in the ass routine of cleaning to keep the crap out to a minimum. Just because you've had no problems doesn't mean that you won't get a stray bit of crap in there eventually and have the same problem. Plus taking it on and off you risk putting accidental scratches.

11. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

How long have you had that on there, and what did you use to clean it with? I have had mine installed 7 months and haven't had any issue, although I have seen these similar looking dots that are spots of dirt that came off with a little bit of rubbing, with a damp cloth.

12. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Is they are actual scratches there is nada you can do. If not try some rubbing alcohol.

13. AppChat, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012

AppChat macrumors regular

you dont even have the case so what are u talking about?

ive had mine for 7 months now and my macnbook is brand new.

id rather have something you can take on and off then something that once u put it on u cant take it off anymore.

better a hrdshell that actually does protecting then a skin that does nothing. zagg wont protect it from dents

hoow does taking it on and off risk accidental scrtaches? are you OCD? its plastic agaisnt metal. self explanantory right there

14. ELA2, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012

ELA2 macrumors member

You must be the smartest mofo on the planet, the only person who knows how to properly use a case. There is a gazillion posts on this board about problems created by macbook pro cases.

Here is one of the more recent I came across. Guess he didn't know how to use his case as well.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1329856&highlight=speck+cases+are+useless+

What you'll also notice is that his computer even dented with the case on.

But according to you, this individual didn't understand the complexities of using a speck case with a macbook pro like you do.

BTW...Plastic will indeed scratch your aluminum macbook pro. Take a plastic knife sometime and rub it against your macbook pro a few times. And please after your done, share the pictures with all of us.

:rolleyes:

15. lamboman macrumors 6502

Not a mod, but c'mon, is there really a need to be so rude (and your other post too)? The OP hasn't done anything to you, and it isn't your laptop that we're discussing.

I think we have an...
    [​IMG]

Back on topic, to the OP, unfortunately there isn't really anything that can be done to repair the damage. You could buy a new bottom panel (though this is expensive), or you could get some skins from The Lucky Labs to cover the marks up, but aside from that, there isn't really anything that you can do.

Unfortunately, hard cases all too often are more destructive than anything else.

16. AppChat macrumors regular

nope just so many threads about people not reading the simple instructions on the speck packaging

17. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Yeah, I read about people getting their macbooks getting scratched from using specks. What I did for mine was I put an wrapsol all around mine and then put the speck on.