Speck Cases to Protect your MacBook - Deal inside!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fourtyoneantz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums as well as new to the world of Mac. I just bought my first MacBook two days ago after being a PC user my whole life. I'm LOVING it on this side so far! Anyway, I was looking for deals on a hard cover for my Mac and I found this deal:

www.speckproducts.com

At checkout enter the following coupon codes: Special25 and then Buddy25

They both take 25 percent off. (yes, 25% off twice!)

They have a ton of products to choose from. I recommend putting a skin on your MacBook first before using a hard cover in case the hard cover scratches. I bought a BodyGuardz skin for the top of my MacBook and I will put the hard cover over it.

I hope I helped a few people!

Whitney

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm not sure if this is a legit thread, or a sitepimp :rolleyes:

3. fourtyoneantz thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking that when I posted, but it's a legit thread. I'm new to Mac and wanted to help people get deals on protection/covers.

I swear I'm not from Speck. Haha.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Codes working for me too, shame their international rates are as much as the bloody cases.

Good offer for sure, if your in the States.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

7. fourtyoneantz thread starter macrumors member

not a problem, enjoy :) :)

i ordered a see-thru hard case for my white MB, i got it for $14!

8. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

whoa! do you think that a bodyguardz or invisibleshield will fit under the speck case?

i don't think it will work because the fit of the speck case is tight already. i mean, who will buy a loose speck hard case?

have you heard from other people on the internet that it works?

i'd be cautious before plunking down money only to have to decide between a $50 shield or a $50 shell

edit: a review of the satin

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/a-follow-up-on-specks-see-thru-satin/

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Speck sucks get Incase.
    Just search the forum.

I wouldnt put a speck shell on my MBP if i got it given to me for free.

10. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

I wouldn't either, but then again I wouldn't put in incase on mine for free, either.

11. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't get something hard and plastic to be in contact with my macbook the whole time. I'm more a fan of the completely overpriced skin.

is it a ripoff? SURE

but it is THIN, and protects against scratches and scuffs. And if you need to protect against dents, you just need to be more careful with your belongings.

also, it adds virtually no bulk.

i only buy it if it is 50% off, which would put it at roughly $26 for the invisibleshield and shieldzone. It only occurs maybe 2x or 3x AT MOST a year, so I just have to be patient.

of course, bestskinsever has an everyday low price, like wal-mart.

but applying the skins requires patience and discipline, which seems to be lacking in today's ADHD, videogame-happy, instant gratification youth.

[off topic - there was an interesting study which showed that successful people were willing to be patient (as kids). they gave a kid 2 cookies, and said that if they were willing to wait for a specified period of time, they would promise the kid 4 cookies. those who ended up being more successful in life were able to hold off on eating the cookies to get 4 of them.]

12. fourtyoneantz thread starter macrumors member

i actually agree with those of you that said you wouldn't put a hard shell on your case..i'm only putting the hard shell over it AFTER i put a skin on the top. i'm pretty meticulous with my belongings, i go overboard when it comes to keeping them nice.

i have an invisibleshield on my ipod, it is a very thin film that i'm sure will fit under the speck case. i got the speck case for cheap anyway, so if i end up not liking it i'm not too concerned.

13. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

I like skins better than hardcases, but I myself do not use either.

It's not that I'm not careful about my belongings - I take very good care of my MacBook as I did my iBook. After all of this time, my iBook still has very very few scratches or scuffs (and the couple it does have are from an old roommate knocking it off of a desk, gahhh).

I just like the look and feel of the Aluminum so much that I couldn't bear to cover it. When using it, I don't do anything that should damage it, and when it's not in use, it is tucked neatly inside its applesac. The system works well for me, though I certainly don't have issues with the fact that some people want their covered. I'm just of the mindset that it's meant to be used and seen, and covering it with plastic would lessen my enjoyment of such a lovely machine.

14. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

What do you mean by skins?