Speck Cases

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watabou, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Has anyone tried the Speck cases? Are they reliable? Are they easy to install or remove?

Most important of all, do they look cool and do they work good?

Just wondering what case to buy if the new MBPs come out.

2. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I have a Red 17' case for my MBP and it was fairly easy to install.

It did look pretty good, during the Leopard launch i had the case on my mbp and i got lots of compliments.

Some people have said that their cases gave them scratches from dirt between the case and their macbook. If you clean it before you put it on, which i did, and i don't have scratches. :D

Now about taking it off, it was harder than i thought. I was scared about breaking the case, because you have to pop tabs that hold the case on and that can be a bit hard.

But overall it was okay, did the job for me. It goes both ways, you may love it and you may end up disliking it alot.

3. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I've had a red Speck case on my 15" MBP since they came out. I see that they have a lot more colors available now - when I got mine (on the Marketplace forum, I might add) there was only clear and red, of which I got both.

I have used the red case for a while now, and I am very pleased with it. I get a lot of compliments about my "red Mac computer."

The clear case is still in the package in my closet - I have yet to use it, I like the red one so much. I would add that I am totally anal about my Macs and other tech tools, so I was very particular about using this....it does a great job.

MacDann

5. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Haha yeah. Everyone seems to use the red cause it looks cool. I know my teacher who uses red speck case so I was just getting a seconnd opinion on the cases. :)

6. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

True, but I really like the looks of the brushed aluminum case of the MBP, and before that, the PowerBook, which is why I also got a clear one. I tried the red one first and have rarely taken it off, other than to rotate my batteries.

I do get a lot of comments on it - "What kind of computer is that??"
    :D

MacDann

7. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I'd like one but to be honest, don't think they're worth the cash they cost to simply bling up my mac.

While they do provide protection, that's what the carry case is for, why a mac needs bash protection when its out of its case sat on a desk I don't know.

Due care and attention will do.

8. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Toss a WTB up on the Marketplace - you might find one cheap there. I think I paid $20 shipped/ea (new) for mine.

I still carry my MBP in a case as well - I figure that the Speck cover keeps the wear and tear off the places that might get munged while it's being used/handled.

MacDann

9. Crossbone macrumors regular

I like the red one too, also the clear, i would like one, but i don't need one.

my MacBook Pro never leaves the house, only sometimes when i go to my friends house, and i carry it in a brenthaven bag, so. pointless for me. but they seem to be great! :apple:

10. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I got my 17' Red Speck case from Amazon and i got only spent $23.

I searched around for a cheaper price. :D

11. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

12. shreddy macrumors regular

Presumably they're not just catering for desk-bound users looking for some bling?

I actually code on the Tube of all places, on a 15.4" hires Dell Precision M65, which I'm ditching for a 17" MBP once it arrives. The Dell has an Alu lid and has received a fair amount of scrapes and scratches from peoples bags, rucksacks etc.

Sure as hell don't want that happening to my MBP, hence ordered a Speck!

13. Mercury7 macrumors 6502