Speck Fitted for iPhone 4 (In Depth Review+Pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Austin M., Feb 6, 2011.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Here is my review of the Speck Fitted for the iPhone 4.

Speck has always been known for making some pretty unique iPhone cases and even though they are not always original, they still make some very high quality products. Today we are going to be taking a look at the Speck Fitted. A two piece snap case with soft linen along the back for that extra style and uniqueness. Read on for the full review of the Speck Fitted for the iPhone 4.

If you didn't read the above paragraph (which I am sure you did) then let me explain a little more in depth about what the Speck Fitted is made out of. Basically, it's a two piece polycarbonate snap case that has both a front side and a back side. On the back side of the case is a soft linen that comes in a bunch of different colors and designs. On the front of the case is basically a rail/bumper that snaps onto the front of your phone. The sides of the case have a very velvety and soft feel that remind me of an iFrogz Luxe.

First and foremost is installation. To install the case on your phone, you gently place your iPhone 4 into the back plate while making sure everything is lined up properly as well as being nice and snug. After that is done you will want to insert the front piece on by snapping in the insertion points into the correct slots. I found the installation to be a breeze and was installed on my phone in a mere twenty-seconds.

Let's take a quick glance over of all the button cutouts and port openings. At the top of the case you have two individual cutouts for the sleep/wake button and the audio jack cutout. Both openings were very easy to get to and hard a large generous cutout. Going to the left side of the case you have one opening for the volume rockers and the silent switch. I had no problem when it came to using all the buttons and all were very easy at registering correctly.

On the bottom of the case you have one single cutout for the speaker, the mic, and the dock connector. Almost all cables should fit in here just fine although I am pretty sure that you will not be able to dock this since the opening is so deep. On the back you have a fairly generous cutout for the camera and the flash. Speck has recently revised the cutout for the camera and it's a good thing they did since the previous version had flash issues. This version, however, does not.

I think that one of my most favorite things about the Speck Fitted case is the unique look. Speck has another line of cases called the Fitted ArtsProjekt, these are the same exact cases as the original Fitted just in a more artistic sense.

Another thing that I enjoyed about the Fitted was the quality. Speck has a winner with this case due to the fact that the quality of the materials and the overall ease of use of the case is fantastic. The velvet finish feels awesome, and the soft linen on the back has no blemishes of any sort that I notice.

If I had at least one negative thing to say about this case it would be that the case does ever so slightly bubble my screen shield in one specific corner. Even though this is a very minor problem, it is still an issue nonetheless.

I give my full recommendation to the Speck Fitted for the iPhone 4 and it has earned it's spot as my favorite iPhone 4 case as of the moment. You can pick up the Fitted case at Speck's website at a variety of retail stores.

Rating: 4.5/5

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Nice review. You write your reviews the same way you would talk on a video. Shoot a few pics of the connectors and cut outs next time. Good review

3. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Alright, thanks, here are some more better lit pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

Have you reviewed the pixelskin HD and if so, what makes the fitted better? Also f you have, does the Fitted feel much thicker than the pixelskin HD?

5. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

No, I have not reviewed the PixelSkin HD, but I have tried it, and the Fitted is way better, tighter fit, cooler design, and overall quality is better on my opinion, oh, and the PixelSkin HD attracts fingerprints on the back, this one does not.

6. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

7. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

this case is a pain for me cause i work on cars and do things that are dirty and handling my phone with this case would ruin the case i think, do you think the back would clean easily

8. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Nice case however mine didn't last a month before it broke (one of the catches broke). Replaced it with a Speck Candyshell.

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

No. If you have the darker colored ones, i.e. the Tartan Plaid or something, then the stains wouldn't be as noticeable. If you have this color then it'll get dirty real quick. The back being cloth and all, it'll pretty much soak up anything it comes in contact with and, subsequently, ruin your phone. This happened to me and I wound up using the Candyshell instead....which also eventually broke. Yay Speck :D

10. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

thanks for the info that is exactly what i needed to hear

11. macuserjhs macrumors regular

Does anyone know why the speck fitted for the verizon iphone has such a big camera cutout? the regular speck case that they sell at apple doesnt have that and it fits the verizon iphone.

12. molly22 macrumors newbie

camera opening on speck case and Fitted ArtsProjekt for verizon iPhone

I think that the design with the smaller opening was causing a problem with the flash and one with the larger opening is the redesign.

But, I am curious if the Fitted ArtsProjekt for iPhone fitts on a Verizon i phone 4. Does anyone know? I email the company but have not recived a response yet.

13. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

It should fit fine, the Fitted has a large cutout on the side for the volume buttons and silent switch.

14. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I don't see how it would "ruin your phone", but yes, it will get dirty quick.

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Whoops, wrong wording. It would "ruin the case" and not the phone. HOWEVER, if you're like me and accidentally spilled a bottle of Pepsi on it then it could potentially ruin the phone as well :D

16. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

17. arcturuz macrumors member

my speck fitted broke after 3 removals

great design and fit, pity on removal.

18. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Really? I have removed mine about 20 times and it is still going strong.

Ask for a replacement.

19. dgstan, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

dgstan macrumors 6502a

They had these in-store for the same price here in Orange County. The one pictured above was $5 while other patterns were 50% off.

I've had this case since the Apple giveaway. I love it and really protects the phone. I dropped kicked it across the concrete floor at Costco the other day. Not a single mark on the phone or the case.

I have heard that it's difficult to remove, but there is a video on YouTube that shows how to remove it easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wzvOTVjk8

Also, I would have expected the fabric on the back would delaminate or show wear after being pulled in and out of my pocket 1000 times. Nope - It still looks brand new.

20. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I thought this case was hideous in the store, but seeing it on your phone, I think it looks really nice! Might have to run to the AT&T store here in town to see if they're still $5.

21. kuklachica macrumors member

I heard that the fabric gets dirty easily... so when I bought mine at the store today, I added some Scotch Guard stain protector to it. I used paint tape to protect the edges then followed the directions on the can. Just thought I'd share the idea! Here's what it looked like while it was drying:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us