Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
Anyone else run into the issue of dust in their lens? I have a tiny speck on the rear camera and a more a noticeable speck on the front facing camera. I plan on going to the Apple store tomorrow.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Anyone else run into the issue of dust in their lens? I have a tiny speck on the rear camera and a more a noticeable speck on the front facing camera. I plan on going to the Apple store tomorrow.
I had a weird shadow on mine before. Maybe dust. I just got it switched with another iPhone 7.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Unlikely to affect your images... old Leitz lenses are full of dust, and they render some of the best images in the world.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I ran into that with my first XS, exchanged it for one without.

Just an FYI, with the rear lens camera, Apple ‘Geniuses’ are actually trained to disassemble the module, clean behind the camera lens cover and reassemble. Most stores won’t permit an exchange, unless it’s under the 14 day return policy.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's so annoying to look at lol. I'm still trying to figure out how the dust got in there in the first place.

Dust gets into everything. not likely to affect picture quality though. Here's an interesting case of how much damage a lens can take and still work more or less normally.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
If it doesn’t affect image quality trust me and don’t exchange, it’s not worth the hassle to get into a possible exchange loop. I have nightmares still from my Apple warranty exchange case from a year ago. I had the same issue, you can check the thread, one of my first posts on this forum. It is not for the weak heart. ?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Just an FYI, with the rear lens camera, Apple ‘Geniuses’ are actually trained to disassemble the module, clean behind the camera lens cover and reassemble. Most stores won’t permit an exchange, unless it’s under the 14 day return policy.
I caught the dust the day after I bought it so I got lucky on that one but yes you’re right on this.
[automerge]1582382427[/automerge]
It's so annoying to look at lol. I'm still trying to figure out how the dust got in there in the first place.
I feel you on this. It feels like the dust is in there just waiting to show up lol. My first iPhone 5 had a chip on the glass on the inside of the camera lense and every time I looked at it I cringed. It didn’t affect the image taken with the phone but it was still annoying.

Last edited:

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
Update. I went to the apple store and the genius said my phone was slightly bent. That apparently that’s the reason why I had dust in my cameras. I don’t see how that’s possible as I take care of my phones but okay. I ended up getting my phone swapped for another one and this one doesn’t have any dust in the front facing camera but it has a speck or two on the rear camera. I’m just going to live with it and wait for the 12.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
How could you be so unlucky? I have had every iPhone and bought heaps for family and to flip, and never seen dust under any camera.

If it wasn't bent out of the box they don't bend on their own.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
How could you be so unlucky? I have had every iPhone and bought heaps for family and to flip, and never seen dust under any camera.

Just my luck I guess. ??‍♂️ I can’t even see the specks unless I’m really looking for them. Doesn’t affect my pictures either. I don’t know why the genius was saying my phone was slightly bent but according to him it was.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Only a genius can know how a stainless steel phone bends and the bend causes dust inside.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just my luck I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I can’t even see the specks unless I’m really looking for them. Doesn’t affect my pictures either. I don’t know why the genius was saying my phone was slightly bent but according to him it was.

If you can barely see the dust yourself and and most importantly, if it doesn’t affect your photos, it’s a non-issue. I’m willing to Believe that almost every iPhone has some form of dust that’s embedded from the factory under the camera lens cover, but no one looks that close to actually pay attention to it, unless it directly affects their photo outcome.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I always open the phone in the store and inspect the lenses for dust. I found dust in the lenses when I bought and opened a 10 XS in store. Exchanged on the spot for another. I agree that specs of dust on larger lenses like those for DSLRs should not present a problem. But for a pinhead sensor and tiny lens of a phone, dust and debris can be an issue.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
Eh. Most of the cases I've seen have shown that a lot of people have had this issue starting with the iPhone X. I can't even see the specks anymore. In other words, I'm ready to upgrade my XS Max to the 12.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009

Lies. Every iPhone I have purchased has camera dust

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.