Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trippingchris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I have a spec of dust under the screen of my iPhone 3GS that I bought yesterday. I saw it last night and it started to bug me. It's overly noticeable but whenever I watch a video or go to a white webpage it's really irritating. My eye is drawn toward the speck. I called Apple and they said to make an appointment and will determine if they will replace it. The thing is the nearest Apple store is a 2 hour drive and I don't want to drive there for no reason. Is this an issue where I can get my phone exchanged or should I not bother?

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
I know they're not the same product, but the screen is a lot alike. My MacBook got dust in the screen and they replaced it for free. (The screen, anyway).
I know it's not the best answer, but I hope it helps and all goes well. :apple::apple:

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
When I had dust under my screen they only replaced the screen. However, sometimes they will replace the entire phone. I don't think I've heard of people have too many problems exchanging it for dust under screen as it is usually pretty noticeable.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Call back, tell them it's too far to drive, and you'd like to do an advance replacement. They'll send you out a replacement via FedEx Overnight, and you simply pop out your SIM, stick it in the new phone, and send the old one right back.

trippingchris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I finally got a chance to go to the Apple store. They replaced my screen and all was well. When I got home I noticed I have the same exact problem again but in a different spot :(:(:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.