Speck on screen after replacing superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KillaHurtz, Apr 14, 2013.

1. KillaHurtz macrumors newbie

So like the title says, I got a 830 128gb to replace my 1tb SSHD, and put my SSHD in the optical bay. When I powered it on I thought there was a speck of dust on the screen so I went to clear it off and the worst occurred to me, it was behind the glass. Is it possible I pinched a cable or something ? It's a relatively small diagonal line that looks like a " / "

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Looks like a compression mark.

3. KillaHurtz thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked with the screen off and I can still the mark like that. Possible when I flipped it over it got some dust in somehow ? The compression mark doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering the lid was closed during the swap and has a silicone cover on the keyboard, as well as the stock rubber around the front of the display. Usually those kind of marks come from pressure on the back of an LCD, and mine even has a hard cover protecting the backside of the lid. What I am asking the experts here, is there a cable that could have been pinched or something while I was reassembling the optical drive area ?

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Are you saying that it's still visible with the screen off? It could be a particle that came loose from behind the bezel, and settled behind the glass when you were manipulating the MBP for the drive change.

Have you tried tapping the glass with the sceen vertical to see if it moves? Do that with the MBP off for a while, to reduce the possibility of any slight static holding the object in place.

Damage to wiring would cause much more evident symptoms than a tiny spot, more like vertical lines or major screen artifacts.

5. KillaHurtz thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try now. I'm on the verge o just returning it or selling it locally. It seems way to small to be a "pressure point" or anything like that. I'm hoping its a quick fix, because I would rather keep this one. Worse case scenario I paid 780 for it, and I can sell it for at least $1200. (i7, 8gb, 128ssd ,mid 2012)

6. KillaHurtz, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

KillaHurtz thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess i'm gonna take it to the genius bar tomorrow and see if they can do anything. For the price I got it for I can live with it til I upgrade, unless I find one for another super deal. Brand new it costs about $1600 :/
    Just wanted to see if it was something I could fix myself, still think it may be something on the actual LCD under the front cover....

Any other insights are much appreciated !

**Update.
    The genius bar is going to replace the display and logic board !

7. KillaHurtz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So I got my unit back with logic replaced and full clamshell. When I went into recovery the main window is clipping on the borders, does anyone elses do this ? Is my GPU still screwed ?