Speck PixelSkin HD or Otterbox Commuter or Case-Mate Tough Case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by flipangle, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

I'm getting the PixelSkin HD when blue is available.

But those are all kind of different styles... what are you looking for in a case? The PixelSkin HD (to me) seems thin, a good fit, nice-looking, and a decent amount of drop protection.

The Otterbox seems bulkier to me (and has that awful back cut-out), and the Case Mate is kind of ugly. It depends on your priorities.

2. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

First priority is protection. I doesn't have to be a beast. I seldom drop my phone and have a desk job. Next, it has to be thin. The PixelSkin HD looks great. I may hold out for the purple one.

3. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

The Case-Mate Tough case seems like a good Otterbox Commuter competitor to me ....

4. SESpy macrumors regular

SESpy

My vote goes to the PixelSkin HD. I think it's the best. Provides great protection, looks stunning and it does NOT add bulk.
    The otterbox cases look like tanks to me. It's like not I am going mountain hiking and dropping my phone from there...

5. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I'm starting to sour on Otterbox, especially since this Casemate looks to offer similar features but w/o the cutout in the back (which I really couldn't give a crap about).

6. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Tough case is up again for purchase. Anybody have a Case-Mate tough case? Care to share your opinion?

7. entraik Suspended

the case-mate tough case has flash issues... FAIL.

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Balls ....

9. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

10. bks691 macrumors regular

11. ram8727 macrumors member

PixelSkin HD is a great looking case and fits really well. The matte finish on the TPU is awesome because there is no lint, but I cannot stand it bubbling all my screen shields that I've tried (Switcheasy, SGP, Zagg, BSE). I have a review on my YouTube channel if you'd like to see it up close.

Case-Mate is a wonderful company! The Hybrid Tough is a popular case that offers a lot of protection. I had one for 3GS and liked it alright, but not in love with it. The same goes for the iPhone 4 Hybrid Tough. It's alright, but not great. I'll have a review soon on my channel, but the bottom silicone is very flimsy and there are some flash issues.

Otterbox Commuter, again, is about the same story as the Case-Mate Hybrid Tough. Maybe I'm just very picky, but I cannot stand silicone cases sometimes. That is why I have a love/hate thing going on with the Hybrid Tough & Commuter. I plan to order one for review, but I bet it'll be just like the 3GS version...A lint magnet and too loose around the sides.

My winner out of the three would definitely be the PixelSkin HD, but all three have flaws IMO. Hope this helps in your decision making.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

According to the sites you posted,

The PixelSkin HD has one layer of protection for $29.99
    The Case-Mate Hybrid Tough has two layers of protection for $39.99
    The Otterbox Defender has three layers of protection for $49.99

This should help you make up your mind.

I have the Otterbox Defender, I think it is stylish and gives the maximum protection to the iP4 that a case can give.

13. UAL Kingpin macrumors newbie

At first I was waiting for the Otterbox Commuter to be available. In the meantime I found out that the Case-Mate Tough Case was available for purchase. I purchased the Tough Case thinking I would use it until I purchase the Commuter. Once I got the Tough Case, I found that it fits really well, and it is well made. The cutout for the headphone jack is pretty big and the USB connector is large enough to accommodate aftermarket connectors. Because I am really happy with the Tough Case, I canceled my pre-order for the Otterbox Commuter through Amazon/Beach Camera.