Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knightshade

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
It is fixed.

#1 - Bad Camera Cutout
#2 - Hard to Push buttons and really stiff material, fixed camera cutout
#3 - Same material as first one, but with the cutout of the second one

To me, fixed would be the material and camera cutout of the second one but the button-ease of the first one.

I've got #2 (free case program) and #1 (warranty replacement from Speck because the buttons suck on #2).

I'm waiting now for them to ship my replacement for THAT replacement since it causes the flash issue.

I imagine it'll be #3... but it sucks because I prefer the tighter fit and more protective feel of the #2 case, I just hate that the lock button needs a sledgehammer to press.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
I can't believe they are sending out replacements for something that was free.

Just because it was free doesn't mean manufacture warranty doesn't apply. There was a legitimate defect on their cases and they are doing the correct thing by replacing it.

scarboy6693

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
San Francisco, CA
To me, fixed would be the material and camera cutout of the second one but the button-ease of the first one.

I've got #2 (free case program) and #1 (warranty replacement from Speck because the buttons suck on #2).

I'm waiting now for them to ship my replacement for THAT replacement since it causes the flash issue.

I imagine it'll be #3... but it sucks because I prefer the tighter fit and more protective feel of the #2 case, I just hate that the lock button needs a sledgehammer to press.

Hmm, then the material may be from the second one, because it fits really tightly

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I can't believe they are sending out replacements for something that was free.

It was free for iP4 owners. It wasn't free for Apple. Apple paid Speck for the cases.

In other words -- say someone gives you an iPod for your birthday. It malfunctions 2 days later. Should Apple not replace it for you because the iPod did not cost YOU anything?

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Just got my replacement of the free one from the case program. Its perfect now. Not as hard at the messed up one and is really easy to put on.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
piss poor reasoning.

I didn't say I agreed or disagreed w/ it, just that I was surprised they were doing it. 'Cuz in another thread someone got a case that was scratched and was told there would be no returns or exchanges w/ the free case program. Guess they were misinformed.

princesultan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2010
I didn't say I agreed or disagreed w/ it, just that I was surprised they were doing it. 'Cuz in another thread someone got a case that was scratched and was told there would be no returns or exchanges w/ the free case program. Guess they were misinformed.

i misunderstood your post then. yah, well it makes sense on their end, because as already stated, they were paid on these cases. speck isn't a charity, they're getting paid on these "free" cases. probably not as much as what they're going for in stores (they probably put some sort of bid in), but they're still getting paid on these.

Knightshade

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010

Just to confirm- got my 3rd case today.

It is indeed the more flimsy material of the first one with the flash cutout of the second.

It's not bad or anything, it's just the "hard button" case was significantly more solid and felt like it'd protect the phone better and was snugger on the sides as well as less flimsy on the bottom cross-piece above the dock connector.

scarboy6693

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
San Francisco, CA
i misunderstood your post then. yah, well it makes sense on their end, because as already stated, they were paid on these cases. speck isn't a charity, they're getting paid on these "free" cases. probably not as much as what they're going for in stores (they probably put some sort of bid in), but they're still getting paid on these.

Yup, I had that issue with a fitted case, they sent me a replacement and now all good. It came from the free case program too :D

CJisohsocool

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
I'm getting mine monday :D can't wait! been using a defective iSkin Solo for now... Ironically, I'm also getting my free Solo replacement monday too lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.