Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sammio2

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Hey Guys,

Really annoyed right now, just received a non grip version of the speck presidio case, and it's totally different to the grip version. The cut outs on the bottom are intended to accommodate a headphone jack, but it's a case specifically designed for an iPhone 7, and the camera fit is intended for an iPhone 7.

Anyone have any idea what this even is! It doesn't even fit the 6, it covers the microphone and rubs against the camera!!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    753.1 KB · Views: 770

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Hey Guys,

Really annoyed right now, just received a non grip version of the speck presidio case, and it's totally different to the grip version. The cut outs on the bottom are intended to accommodate a headphone jack, but it's a case specifically designed for an iPhone 7, and the camera fit is intended for an iPhone 7.

Anyone have any idea what this even is! It doesn't even fit the 6, it covers the microphone and rubs against the camera!!

Cheers
Where did you buy it from? My iPhone 7 Plus Presidio has none of those issues. Is your case possibly a knockoff?

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Brought it direct from Speck!! I'm waiting to hear back from them!
Wow! Strange! They must be doing something different with their iPhone 7 case lineup than their iPhone 7 Plus, or they have decided post-launch to broaden out the iPhone 7 line to include iPhone 6s cases. I can assure you that at least initially, none of the iPhone 7 Plus Presidio cases were like that. I have 2 Presidio Clear, a Clear Glitter, A Clear + Print, an Inked, a regular Presidio and 2 Presidio Grip cases and none of them have those features...

Let us know what you find out!

Reactions: determined09

Sammio2

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Wow! Strange! They must be doing something different with their iPhone 7 case lineup than their iPhone 7 Plus, or they have decided post-launch to broaden out the iPhone 7 line to include iPhone 6s cases. I can assure you that at least initially, none of the iPhone 7 Plus Presidio cases were like that. I have 2 Presidio Clear, a Clear Glitter, A Clear + Print, an Inked, a regular Presidio and 2 Presidio Grip cases and none of them have those features...

Yeah, it's totally bizarre. I have the speck presidio grip for the iPhone 7 and it's perfectly normal, e.g no headphone cutout. I brought that a couple of weeks ago, I do hope they've not changed the design, that would totally suck!

Sammio2

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008

Bad news, Speck just confirmed this is a change to the design. It looks completely crap, completely ruins the case imho...

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Wow talk about OCD. Most of the new iPhone cases are doing that to accommodate the 6, it's functional… Find it perfectly normal as my UAG also has this.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Meh, well not really OCD. Could be, but IMO with the amount of money we are paying for these cases they could give us a cleaner look.

Now if it was a 5 - 10 dollar generic case then I wouldn't mind at all.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Bad news, Speck just confirmed this is a change to the design. It looks completely crap, completely ruins the case imho...
Disappointing news! Do you know if this is being done for both the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus? I can see it being more tolerable for the iPhone 7 than the 7 Plus, because the camera opening isn't going to be so massively oversized on the iPhone 6s as it is on the iPhone 6s Plus...

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
Disappointing news! Do you know if this is being done for both the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus? I can see it being more tolerable for the iPhone 7 than the 7 Plus, because the camera opening isn't going to be so massively oversized on the iPhone 6s as it is on the iPhone 6s Plus...
Someone posted that their 7 plus case had a cutout for the headphone jack on specks facebook

Chele

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Illinois
Yikes! I don't like this at all. I have three of the Presidio grip cases for my Plus and none of them are like that! I've been eyeing one of the Inked cases on their website but now I'm afraid to order it. I definitely don't like the "new" version with that cut out. It really makes it look like a 6S case.

Sammio2

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Yikes! I don't like this at all. I have three of the Presidio grip cases for my Plus and none of them are like that! I've been eyeing one of the Inked cases on their website but now I'm afraid to order it. I definitely don't like the "new" version with that cut out. It really makes it look like a 6S case.

Yeah it looks rubbish IRL too, I honestly would avoid. Speck don't seem to care really, they have all the reviews out with the nice looking cases, so people buy them, then they want us to pay half the price of the case just to return it to them! Really underhand move I think...
[doublepost=1479416210][/doublepost]

Yep, unfortunately ALL Presidio cases will come like this from now on. Trust me, even the plain old 7 case looks ridiculous on the iPhone 6!

tk123

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
London, UK
I bought the Speck Presido Clear & Glitter case direct from their store (in the UK though) two weeks back, and mine have the original iPhone 7 Plus cutouts where they should be. Glad I didn't hold off any longer, this change doesn't make any sense aesthetically. They must want a 'one size fits all' lineup.

Sammio2

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
I bought the Speck Presido Clear & Glitter case direct from their store (in the UK though) two weeks back, and mine have the original iPhone 7 Plus cutouts where they should be. Glad I didn't hold off any longer, this change doesn't make any sense aesthetically. They must want a 'one size fits all' lineup.

You got lucky, mine was the UK Store too.

I've just received my Rhinoshield Playproof and it's honestly the perfect case in every way for me. Much happier with it!

Reactions: Mike5254

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Hey Guys,

Cheers

In The USA, Speck is selling this version on Amazon website that supposedly fits both the 6s/6s+ and the 7/7+ phones that has the headphone jack opening on the bottom of the case.

https://www.amazon.com/Speck-Produc...?ie=UTF8&qid=1479528018&sr=8-9&keywords=speck

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
IMG_6149.jpg
I found this page hidden on their website, indicating the change: http://www.speckproducts.com/product-updates/presidio/updates-iphone-7.html

Other than the headphone jack hole issue, I've also noticed that my clear glitter case does not fit snug or properly between the volume up button and the mute button, anyone else notice this?
Oh yeah Speck had to put something on their website about the backwards compatibility with the 6/6s because I think a lot of people were complaining. And it's also different for different colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.