Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
Love the Speck Presidio Sport case for my 7+. I have the grey one with blue accents. Sold at Best Buy only. It has good protection, relatively slim, extremely grippy "fuzzy" rubberized material, works with wireless charging and has infused Microban for germs. But it is marketed as fitting the 8+. I don't know why, but no matter how I try to insert the 8+, the sleep/wake/power button gets jammed IN, with no movement of the button from outside the case possible. This is causing the phone to constantly "slide to power off". Some slight difference in phone measurements that I can't determine. I've tried mine, and 3 different units at Best Buy with my new 8+.

So, I'm in an Otterbox Defender for now....which I don't prefer. At least it works with wireless charging.

Just FYI in case you were considering it. Will be notifying Speck.

(EDITED TO ADD--GOT THE PRESIDIO SPORT TO FIT THE 8+. SEE RESOLUTION POST BELOW)

Couple of pics--7+ in Speck and 8+ in Otterbox:

Untitled by Jeff H, on Flickr

Untitled by Jeff H, on Flickr

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I bought the red one from BB and had the same issue with the 8+. So, back it went.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
I'm also reading some Amazon comments about the Otterbox commuter for 7+ not fitting the 8+. Haven't tried one of those yet. The Defender seems to fit and work well. Disappointing there's juuuuuuust enough difference to cause these cases with tight tolerances not to work.

I've emailed Speck, so we'll see what they say.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
FWIW The Sport model does not fit the iPhone X either, I tried in Best Buy with the one they had for the X and forget it.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
FWIW The Sport model does not fit the iPhone X either, I tried in Best Buy with the one they had for the X and forget it.

I had a different experience. I had the iPhone X first and took a Presidio Sport to the store with me. It fit perfectly. The knob for the mute switch was finicky until I figured out that you had to orient the knob to the same as the switch on the phone before you insert the phone.

You can see pictures of my iPhone X in the spec presidio sport case alongside my iPhone 7 Plus with the same case, in my screen dust collection thread.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
Thought I'd followup on this. I got the Sport case to fit the 8+, and it is my favorite case. After inserting volume side first, I carefully pried the sleep/wake button of the case outward as I inserted that side of the case. Somehow the button lined up better. Now the case fits great, and the sleep/wake button is very light and clicks--like the naked phone.

This case is my favorite for generous screen lip, power port and mute switch covered, and very rubbery grippy without attracting lint like a silicon case. The mute knob works fine on this case.

And before figuring this out, Speck was good enough to send me TWO cases to try--the Presidio Ultra (mute knob cannot be turned on that one without pliers), and finally a Presidio Show, which is a protective clear case, but it's a bar of soap.

Speck customer service is top notch and now I have two extra cases I can use on 7+ or 8+ (albeit with knob that won't turn on the Ultra).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.