Speck Satin for new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by m3kilpat, Aug 3, 2009.

1. m3kilpat macrumors regular

Does the Speck Seethru Satin fit the new (built in battery) MBP's? It seems like they are for the older unibody style but does that matter or are ports in a new location so they would be covered by the case?

2. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Not sure if it was that Speck case or not, but I was told at a BestBuy store that the one they were selling did not have the right port holes for the mid-2009 Mac Book Pros.

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

4. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I wasn't sure because it didn't specify on their site. Or I missed it.

5. twixx007 macrumors newbie

twixx007

I just bought one for my MBP 17" 2009 and it fits. Just make sure you buy the on that says "For MBP with black keys on the keyboard". I bought mine off of Amazon for $32. It's back ordered on Speck's website and the Apple store sells it for $49. good luck!

6. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

this is not accurate for the 13" and 15" models. There are different hard shells for the computers without SD slots and those with SD slots. The 17" ports never changed so obviously that one still fits.

7. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi,

I bought a Speck Satin for my 17" UMBP - really regret it - it does not fit at all properly and is very cheaply made and badly finished. I had an Incase before on my 15" and it was far superior in every - go Incase if you have a 15" model imho.

Bazzy!

8. Fobish macrumors newbie

Just received my Speck Satin See-thru in red for my MacBook Pro 13 and could not be any happier (bro already has a blackbook and i didn't choose the black case) It snapped on perfectly & snug. I'm sure Incase will have a quality case once they actually produce one, but with a current 50% off coupon for Speck, IMO i can't justify paying (and waiting) $25 more for a similar case.

9. m3kilpat thread starter macrumors regular

+1

10. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

The update for the SD slot version happened a few weeks ago. The new version is supposed to be fine for both SD and ExpressCard slot models. I follow Speck on Facebook, and got the announcement there.

11. MDaley45 macrumors newbie

I bought the Speck for the Expresscard version by mistake at BestBuy but it works fine on my Summer 2009 15" except it does cover the lock port next to the superdrive but thats not really a problem for me.

12. Sexsee1 macrumors newbie

just a question...

I have just bought a Macbook 13'' (the white one), and I am wondering if the speck satin will fit on my machine?
    I've read a few users have used it, but then I read it was ONLY for the Macbook Pro...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want the plastic hard shell casing..

13. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I believe only the glossy hard shell cases are currently available. Speck's customer service is usually quick to respond to questions about future releases. You should email them or message them through facebook.

Also, you might want to look at Incase hard shells. I believe they are "satiny", the way you're hoping for.

14. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'm a big fan of the incase shells as well, but only speck has the ones to fit a 17" MBP when I bought mine. I was able to get 50% off at speck via coupon code devcamp50, which greatly eased my transition (I think it's still valid - it's worth a shot). :rolleyes:

15. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I would really buy a Speck Satin for my MBP right now, but Black is on backorder.

Ugh! I hope the coupon code lasts throughout the year.

:D

16. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's been valid for a freakishly long time, so finger's crossed! (I suspect the widespread use of the code is why they are out of so many models right now...).