Speck See Thru 2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RossMc, May 10, 2010.

1. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Anyone got one of the Speck See Thru cases on there 2010 Macbook Pro?

I know the chargers have changed so does it still fit with the charger in?

2. Kiddo86 macrumors member

[PICS OF MOD NOW BELOW]

The charger will not fit properly on a stock Speck case, but 5 minutes with some fine-grade sand paper wrapped around a screw driver will carve out a perfect fit for the new cable. Also, the plastic that the Speck cases are made out of handles the sanding very well... it doesn't look scratchy or even a different shade of black where I removed some of the plastic to fit the charger. In fact, the way mine is now, it almost makes the charger fit more securely... I managed to get the grove cut in such a way that it's perfectly formed to hold around the charger.

I'm referring only to the 17" by experience, but I would assume the exact same is true for the 15".

3. Dferreira87 macrumors member

Can you post a picture of your mod? I would like to see how smooth you were able to make it.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Kiddo86, I'd like to see your mod as well.

This is what Speck have to say:

"Our MacBook Pro cases are tight! But just not QUITE...

And that’s not the way we do things at Speck. Our stuff fits perfect. Period.

Although our cases fit the new machines as snug as ever, the power plug that ships with the MacBook Pro line changed to the new 90-degree MagSafe. This means that 1mm of plastic interference with our SeeThru and SeeThru SATIN cases causes the MagSafe adapter to plug in slightly crooked (see fig. 1), and not quite as secure as it’s supposed to be. It WILL fit and charge like this. However, for a 100% seated connection, the MagSafe can be plugged in “backwards” (see fig. 2). As this covers the USB port and looks a bit goofy, this workaround is not a perfect fit in our eyes.

New cases that do not have this slight fit issue will be available in the near future, however, if you’d like to buy a case now, anyone can do this simple modification to fix the problem:

You can easily shave off the extra plastic in just a moment’s time using a file: even a simple metal nail file from a drugstore will do! We aren’t totally stoked on asking customers to modify their cases if the interference is bothersome… But on the balance, the environmental impact of scrapping, shipping, un-packing, and re-packing the cases (which do allow for charging functionality, if slightly unaesthetically) just doesn’t measure up to a few strokes of a nail file."

So new ones will be out, but in the meantime file it if you can't wait.

5. California Crow macrumors newbie

I put one on my new 17" last week. A few seconds with a Dremel to modify the slot, and presto! Works great, looks great.

6. felixelgato macrumors member

felixelgato

Macbook pro 15"

I have it installed in a new macbook pro 15" and I if try to connect the new charger connector with the cable backwards it doesn´t fit very well, but if I do it in the opposite way it works but blocking the network port... I will try the fine-grade sand paper method.

7. MorganK macrumors regular

I'd love to see some pics of the cases that people have fixed to fit. My MBP will be here today (out for delivery, woot!) and the Speck is due for delivery on Wednesday. So as soon as it gets here I can hand it over to my husband to fix for me.

8. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

9. Kiddo86 macrumors member

It looks a bit more discolored in these pics than it does to the eye but the connector alignes EXACTLY as it should and fits almost MORE snug with the modded case holding it in place. It literally took me 5 minutes with some fine sand paper wrapped around a screw driver just rubbing away at it (obviously a dremel would work the same way only faster)... grind a bit, then test, then grind, then test until it's just right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]