Speck see thru hard shell case - confirmation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devils punchbow, Jun 25, 2010.

1. devils punchbow macrumors member

2. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I got my wife a pink one for her MacBook along with the pink keyboard cover.
    She loves it.
    She can surf all night practically and the temp is only 41c

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. quyzin macrumors newbie

how does your wife like the keyboard cover?? it looks very snazzy, but i wonder if there're any downsides to it?

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

got one of those myself, in silver

serves its purpose but it is quite uncomfortable type on especially when I'm used to typing fast (slows you down)
    The colored protectors also cover the light from the keyboard backlighting which renders that function useless

The moshi protectors are MUCH better but those can wrinkle and stay that way
    unlike these silicone ones that allow for constant washings without losing form

5. blazezaku macrumors newbie

it will cover the air intake places for the macbook causing it to run hotter then its suppose to. ( but i guess it doesnt matter if you only do casual stuff like surfing the web and checking emails )

6. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

This isn't true. The vent in the back is not covered by the Speck case.

My only complaint about the case...well, there's two.

1. It unbalances the screen causing it to flop around due to the added weight. It's not as solid as without the Speck case.
    2. The plastic snaps that hold it in place WILL eventually snap off.

What I did is split the difference - I used the bottom part of the case to protect against spills, table dust/dirt, etc. and that worked well. I left the top uncovered, which kept the screen hinge solid. My fear is that the added weight would put strain on the hinge causing sooner-than-expected failure.

7. easy-mac macrumors member

OP, are you sure the MagSafe is making full connection? I emailed Speck two days ago about this very issue and here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Speck!

New cases are coming in about 2-3 weeks

Our MacBook Pro cases are tight! But just not QUITE...

And that’s not the way we do things at Speck. Our stuff fits perfect. Period.

Although our cases fit the new machines as snug as ever, the power plug that ships with the MacBook Pro line changed to the new 90-degree MagSafe. This means that 1mm of plastic interference with our SeeThru and SeeThru SATIN cases causes the MagSafe adapter to plug in slightly crooked (see fig. 1), and not quite as secure as it’s supposed to be. It WILL fit and charge like this. However, for a 100% seated connection, the MagSafe can be plugged in “backwards” (see fig. 2). As this covers the USB port and looks a bit goofy, this workaround is not a perfect fit in our eyes.

New cases that do not have this slight fit issue will be available in the near future, however, if you’d like to buy a case now, anyone can do this simple modification to fix the problem:

You can easily shave off the extra plastic in just a moment’s time using a file: even a simple metal nail file from a drugstore will do! We aren’t totally stoked on asking customers to modify their cases if the interference is bothersome… But on the balance, the environmental impact of scrapping, shipping, un-packing, and re-packing the cases (which do allow for charging functionality, if slightly unaesthetically) just doesn’t measure up to a few strokes of a nail file.

When the new cases come out they will be marked with this sticker:

Kind regards,

Erik Griss-Customer Service
    "I love my job!"

They also attached the following picture saying all the new cases will include this to show it's made to work with the new chargers. If yours works that's great, but I don't think Speck has officially released the new cases to fit the new chargers yet.

Attached Files:

8. quyzin macrumors newbie

I emailed them a few days ago too, and I received the same reply. My inquiry was regarding the 13" cases online though, not the ones already in stores.

9. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I emailed them this week and gone the same generic reply but I was emailing them asking if the ones Amazon had where the new ones which would fit the 2010 MBP or the old ones and that reply didn't answer my question at all.:p

10. apexdubb macrumors newbie

what I did was take a piece of sand paper and wrap it around a pen....
    then slowly and carefully sand away the extra plastic that is stopping your power cord from attaching properly....

I am glad they have addressed this issue....
    but I wished they'd a done it before I had to figure it out on my own;)

11. deahamlet macrumors newbie

I bought a red Speck case in Canada from the Apple store. It says on the box that it works with the new AC adapter cable and it does, very well. I have zero complaints.

12. ljx718 macrumors 6502

does it really scratch the edges?