Speck see thru satin hard shell for 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spencer elliott, Jun 13, 2010.

1. spencer elliott macrumors member

spencer elliott

i just went to the apple store looking for a speck hard shell case. ive been reading in older threads that the incase and speck shells wont fit perfectly where the mag safe connects. something about it not seating properly...

anyway, the one i bought says "for the 08-09 models", (and ive got 2010) but there is also a sticker on it with a pic of the mag safe and it says "yes it fits!"

and it does indeed fit perfectly. no bad connection at the mag safe what so ever. this shell is very nice.

now im thinkin about getting some translucent color film and putting it inside the shell where the apple will be... therefor illuminating whatever color i go with. ill post pics when this is done.

great shell!

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Glad to hear it fits! Ill probably pick one up myself today if I could find that internet coupon that everybody talks about.

Strange though, I remember one of the first people on here to post their 2010 AG 15" had the black satin and it didnt fit, he had to put the mag safe the opposite direction.

3. itsboosting macrumors newbie

speck now has a revised version of the shell that DOES fit. refer to picture :D

Attached Files:

4. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

spencer elliott

mine had the same sticker on the packaging seen above, but it did still say 08-09 models...

5. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Yea can anybody give some info about the coupons? How/when/where?

7. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

spencer elliott

price was still 50

didnt know anything about any coupon

does it work at the apple stores?

8. TXOID macrumors newbie

9. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

spencer elliott

i saw the 13" cases right next to the 15" on the shelf, but i did not look to see if they had the "it fits" sticker on them

10. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Coupon code SFD822TP takes 25% off total purchase price on Speck's website; makes the case $37.50 vs. $50.

11. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

12. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

spencer elliott

that is almost exactly what i had in mind except i wont be opening the macbook.

ill just apply the colored film to the inside of the speck case where the apple shines through.

putting the film inside the macbook will void your warranty... my method will not and ill get the same results.

that second youtube link was great tho... i guess they mount a little display instead of just colored film and the macbook recognizes it as a second monitor... ?

13. zerophase macrumors newbie

does this mean I can buy it online too? the website does not show that the seethru has any updates done to it...

edit: I called speck and apparently that said that they ship apple all their priority cases first (so all the updated ones) and whatever is left goes up on their website. So apple stores will get the updated cases before even they do.

14. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

No idea but it's awesome

15. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

spencer elliott

seems its a kit, but it still requires opening up the lid/screen...

im not even gonna do that

very cool tho

16. mc751n macrumors member

BE CAREFUL! The Speck SeeThru Satin case that has the "Yep, it fits!" sticker it a complete sham. What did they do? They opened all of the old cases and chopped off the part of the case that was getting in the way, and not in a clean way either, and sold it as new without any indication! The one I just got was completely dirty/dusty and the part of the case that they cut away looks like crap. I have contacted Speck about this and they don't give a damn. I'm so upset (I can't just return it, my mom spent $10 to send this to me and the closest apple store is 60 miles away). They also said that they have no knowledge about the "Yep, it fits!" sticker.

17. mac*chick macrumors member

mc751n,

Thanks, I think I'll go the Incase router after hearing that.

18. TXOID macrumors newbie

I got mine yesterday (for the 13" though), but I did saw a black satin case for the 15" too. I don't know about the 15", but seems like Speck just shaved out the plastic in my 13"'s.:( Not really noticeable though. If you can't wait, Incase has got the whole set out already.

19. devils punchbow macrumors member

20. spencer elliott thread starter macrumors member

spencer elliott

the "yep it fits" new models are absolutely not a sham

my case fits perfectly and magsafe seats perfectly

there is in no way any "chopped off" parts of this case

everything is formed from the mold

sounds to me like you got one that some user modded and returned and it made its way back on the shelf

21. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Ended up buying a red one off the bay (new in package) for $22.50 (shipping included)...

But I have a late 2008 model, so I can't comment on the fit with the new power adapters...