Speck see-thru satin hardshell case - Incipio Feather next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dweez, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I've had the case for about 10 months, and all of the tabs which hold the lower case to the MBA chassis have broken. This is the machine which travels with me, I always carry it in a Timbuk2 messenger bag and am very careful with it.

I'm considering an Incipio Feather case, which was my first pick after I bought the MBA but they were out of stock. I've got Feather cases on my 2012 15" MBP, ipad 2 and iphone 5s, and so far so good.

For those of you with the Feather on a 13" MBA, what's been your experience with the durability of the Feather?

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

How about no case? If you keep it in a sleeve when enroute, why do you need a case?

3. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I did that with an older Mac until I was carrying my at the time MacBook Pro in the house (therefore sans case) and the dog heard the doorbell and ran through my legs knocking me over and sending the MBP flying down the steps, denting the bottom portion. Now if that were to happen with the case I have, I hope that the dent would be avoided.

4. Dweez thread starter macrumors 65816

Dweez

I suppose I could try a sleeve, but I like the very thin hard shell cases. And how that I think more about it, I may just try a sleeve... :)

5. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I just had one of those tabs break on my Incipico too.

6. Dweez thread starter macrumors 65816

Dweez

I've looked at it online but haven't considered it seriously, as (silly as it sounds) I am pretty brand loyal. Once I find a manufacturer which produces products that I like and perform well I'll stick with that manufacturer.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've had the Moshie iGlaze for just about a year now and although it is expensive (lists for over $60.00 but I bought mine at Amazon on sale for $49.00), it is a very nice protective case. Extremely light, adds almost no bulk whatsoever to the MBA and is nearly undetectable to my eyes. I've had a few drops (from couch/sofa levels and on to wooden floors) and although there is a small hairline crack on one side of the iGlaze there was zero damage to the actual MBA. All in all, an outstanding case IMO.

8. case2001 macrumors 6502

I have used the Speck cases. They are very nice and have held up well. Lately, I have been using iPearl cases by mCover. The are cheaper and have a texture to the surface so they are not as slippery. I have had 3 of the them. Two different colors for my MacBook Air !3" and one for my 15" rMBP. They have been great!

9. outlawarth macrumors regular

+1

10. Dweez thread starter macrumors 65816

Dweez

I just received and "installed" a black Moshi iglaze. Comparing the Speck see-thru satin to the iglaze, the Moshi product seems superior in material and craftsmanship. Now to see if it lasts more than a year. :)

Thanks all for the input.