Speck see-thru satin heating up your macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by unagimiyagi, Jul 27, 2011.

1. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm curious to know whether the see thru satin covers cause the 13" 2011 air to heat up, thereby triggering the fan earlier and more often.

I see no ventilation and it also does add almost a pound to the air, which is a huge difference of 30% to the weight. It's like 3.8 pounds or something with this cover, isn't it?

Is it worth it?

2. saketbash macrumors newbie

I've read not so great things about the Satin because of cracks that develop primarily on the bottom part of the case. After reading numerous reviews I chose the Incipio Feather Matte Black case and it arrived yesterday. I think that its actually helped with the cooling aspect given that it raises the mac off of the surface just a bit more and it has ventilation across the bottom as well. My recommendation would be to go w/ that. Good luck!

3. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I have the speck see thru (satin and normal). My satin developed splits/cracks on the sides, however I returned it to speck and they sent me a replacement out free of charge. Can't really complain about that.

I went with the speck one as I managed to get it a little cheaper than the incipio.

4. unagimiyagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does the Satin make your air's fans speed up sooner?
    It seems to me that you lose all ability to conduct heat away from the laptop.

5. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I've got a black one and I'll use it for 3-4 hours at a time and doesn't ever get really warm/hot. I don't really think it's 1 lb., it's pretty light, maybe 1 lb. with the packaging.