Speck SeeThru case as good as Candyshell?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by E3BK, Nov 4, 2009.

1. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I really need a new case =). I've found some reviews on the Speck SeeThru but nothing really in-depth. It's a clear hard case with similar design as the Candyshell? I love my white/cranberry Candyshell but find it bulky sometimes.

Does that mean it has a silicone coating on the inside? Or is it just a hard shell case? Also...does it fit with a BSE on?

If anyone has pics or info, I'd really appreciate. Thank you!!

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

No pics, but I have 3 CandyShells and one SeeThru. The SeeThru is my favorite because it is much thinner than the others. Same face down protection, and no watermarking on the back as the phone doesn't seem to touch the back of the case. That would make be think that your BSE would be fine. One caveat: Harder than a momma to remove!!

3. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

THIS. I thought the CandyShell was awkward to get off, but that's nothin' compared to the ST. My thumbs were sore for like an hour after I finally managed to get mine off the first time. I don't know if that will change after it's broken in a little, but it has made me a little leery of using it very often because I like to change my cases around every few days and it's such a giant PITA to change out that one.

Love the fact that it's so much less bulky than the CS, though. If it weren't so bloody hard to remove, it'd be my favorite case, bar none.

4. briang191 macrumors newbie

How much thinner is the See Thru Vs the CS. any and all input would be great.

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

It's significant. It feels almost like the bare iphone to me after using the CandyShell for a while. Adds a little grip along the edge too. It's my favorite, and I've also use the Power Support Air Jacket and a couple of Incipio Feathers. It isn't as slim as the Feather, but close to the PS AJ.

6. briang191 macrumors newbie

how would you rate the protection see thru vs CS? It the protection of the see thru comparable to the airjacket and incipio feather? I wish they made it in solid black instead of smoke and clear

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

The candyshell has more impact protection due to the soft material on the inside, and it's a bit thicker. The See through is harder to get off, but it's not as bad as some people are making it sound like.

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Protection wise I would say the SeeThru is VERY close to the CS. The only place I would give the CS a nod in protection would be for a serious drop. Other than that I think they are equal.

I hope my comments didn't come of as making the SeeThru sound "bad". It is my favorite case, CandyShells, Air Jacket, Incipio Feathers included.

9. V4705 macrumors 6502

it would be true if the phone made with a decent housing,
    with the 3G\3GS's plastic, hard part only on the back side of the case is a killer, a 2 feet fall can easily crack the housing.

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

There is a space between the back of the case and the phone. This air pocket can actually protect. I still agree that the CS is better for drops, but the ST is it's equal for any other kind of protection.

11. ksoze macrumors regular

Any opinions on differences with the Griffin Reveal, also a see through case? any comparison pics? Seems like the Griffin has the edges and lip in black where the Speck is all clear.

12. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Update: Avoid this case until they improve one thing

Okay, I've now had two of the SeeThru cases, the second being a replacement for my first defective case. Here's the deal. After about 3 or 4 weeks of use, the rubber-like edge starts to separate from the hard plastic case. For me it was on both sides about half way between the top and the bottom. It's really a shame, because I love the look and feel of this case. I'm hoping in time they can figure out a better way to manufacture this, but for now, I say avoid this product!:(

13. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

OMG! I never even saw that people replied to this thread. Must have accidentally unsubscribed to it. =(

Anyway, I got the clear black case for the white 3GS. I really love it. It's my favorite case right now, more than the iSkin solo even. the BSE did fit and it was a pain to get off, but doable. I decided to take the BSE off. It was like ripping off a band aid...just doing it quickly and the pain will only last for a moment. lol

Sucks to hear about the plastic coming off. I've not experienced that and cross my fingers that it was just a defective case.

I dropped it twice with the SeeThru and after I began to breathe again, checked the phone, it seemed ok. Short drops...once form the table to the floor but that's as bad as it got.

So far, I'm really happy with the case. =)

14. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

My wife had the exact same problem, and went through 2 of these cases as well. With everyday use, it seems to only last a few weeks before the rubber separates from the hard shell. A disappointment for sure. I picked her up the iSkin Solo FX instead. I figured this was near impossible for her to ruin.

15. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I too had this exact same problem. I decided to just give up with the SeeThru after going through two of them, the first being replaced by Speck. I stick to my Candyshell and Otterbox Commuter now.

16. alamperti macrumors member

alamperti

I own a white Speck CandyShell and I confirm it's a pain to take is off.. I like it very much but at least I've decided not to use it on a daily basis because of this problem, don't want to gliss my iPhone when trying to separate from the case to fit the TomTom Car Kit ;)

17. ihonda macrumors 68000

ive got the blue one..not only is it a bear to take off it scratches WAY to easy.. nothing but swirl marks on the back. i took it off and use a wrapsol now

18. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I love my Seethru case, but I too have had the rubber edging come off. Mine lasted a whole two months! I don't know if I love it enough to have it replaced every two months.

19. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I've gone through three so far and the edge came off every one in two months or less. Obviously a design defect. It's too bad, because I love the case. I've been using the Incipio NGP see through for a while now. I really like it, but it does discolor after a while.