Speck "SeeThru" Hard Shell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lego8, Mar 19, 2008.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Hi all,

Can a user of Speck's SeeThru's case give a review of the case? I read that the case scratches the MacBook; does it scratch the MacBook Pro? Does it allow for a complete swing of the screen (forward and back)? Anything else?

Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have used this before on my MacBook Pro, and it doesn't scratch it. You will want to make sure that small rocks or anything like that do not get in though, as that has the potential to scratch the MacBook Pro. I noticed that with the hard shell on the screen would not go as far back, however if you pop the bottom part off a bit, it goes further back. Anything else you want to know?

3. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I just bought one today and as soon as I receive my MBP I will let you know how I like it. I am a bit worried about the fact that it may add additional weight to the computer and the edges I have heard are sharp on the wrists.

4. Zeos macrumors 6502

I have the clear Speck on a Penryn 15" MBP. I also have an iSkin keyboard cover.

The Speck case does not seem to scratch the MBP. It looks very nice, doesn't really add any appreciable weight, and adds just a little bulk. Still a thin, great looking laptop! Compared to my wife's MBP, I did lose about 1/4" of screen "lay back" as measured from the top of the screen. The ports are perfectly accessible. The piece of plastic above the CD is a bit thin and will probably break at some point. And yes, the edges are a bit sharp on the wrists. I definitely don't want to make this review sound negative. I really like the case. It offers stylish protection. Really my biggest complaint would be the sharp edges. I may remove the Speck and try sanding the edges just a bit.

BTW, go for the iSkin keyboard cover. Very nice.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I have the speck shell case and its great. Important for those who dont want any scratches. As mentioned earlier, make sure the surfaces of the MBP are clean prior to snaping the case on. It will rub against the finish and make marks.

6. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Does the iSkin leave any marks on the screen when the notebook is closed?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

8. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I have to disagree with this. It's still a very nice case, and I'm not suggesting against it, but one of my co-workers bought one and when she handed me her laptop to look at it, I immediately wondered why hers was so much heavier than mine. I gave her my laptop and she was like "wow that is a lot lighter". Neither of us could believe it could be the case so we popped it off and yeah, it's pretty darn heavy.

It's still worth it though.

9. timeslip macrumors member

I am in agreement with saltyzoo. I love my speck case (green), but it does add extra noticeable weight. It's not so much that you hate it, but it is noticeable.

10. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

i had one
    returned it after 3 days
    liked it, added weight & thickness
    wouldn't clip on all the way though.

11. Zeos macrumors 6502

None at all for me and I carry my MBP around in a backpack. But if you pile books on it and flex the screen downward, it may. But it's silicone rubber, so I wouldn't expect any damage.

12. Zeos macrumors 6502

Ok, here is the official weight, done on a postal scale:

15" mid-2007 MBP no Speck case: 83.4 oz
    15" Penryn MBP with Speck case: 99.6 oz

13. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

thats just a tad bit over 1 extra pound.

14. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Interesting. I have a 15" MBP with a clear Speck case and I didn't think it added any appreciable amount to the whole package.

Next time I have it off I'm going to weigh it. I find it difficult to believe that it weighs a pound.

MacDann

15. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

on the speck website it says 9oz which is just a little over half a pound.
    http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru/15-macbook-pro/25

16. Zeos macrumors 6502

Hmm. Is there supposed to be an appreciable weight difference between the mid-2007 MBP and the Penryn MBP? I will weigh my wife's purple Speck case when it arrives; maybe that will settle the question. I would take mine off and weigh it, but I'm afraid I will mess it up. I put it on before my new MBP had a chance to get messy, so I want to preserve its natural state. :p

17. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

cmon man seriously that plastic weighs NOTHING in your hands before you assemble..