Speck SeeThru Hardshell Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by southcounty949, Aug 7, 2008.

1. southcounty949 macrumors member

southcounty949

2. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

3. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

4. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

Yeah, I keep looking at it inside the apple store, I was never really a shell person, but I get all worried about dents on my MBA.

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

ooooohhh true true, i forgot those are aluminum casing huh. ya i would really get that clear case for sure. Might as well get it, it protects and doesnt look bad at all either.

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I am not to keen on speck cases after my macbook pro got scratched by the case. I have been buying case mate leather suits for my laptops since. I have just ordered the carbon suite for my air. No scratches and I can simply check it in my day sack.

7. baboo2 macrumors member

Hey ,
    I have one...it's not bad at all
    Protects it while only increasing its size by like a MM
    Very solid and now I can walk around with my MBA safely!

8. lidomkj macrumors regular

does this increase heat at all? i thought part of the aluminum design was to dissipate heat? I really like the look of them and thought about buying.

9. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

Post Pics!

Hey can you post some pictures? I want to see what one actually looks like.

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

An actual Apple store or the online Apple Store?

11. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

The actual apple store.

12. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

I took the plunge!

I finally took the plunge and purchased a Speck SeeThru case at my local Apple Store. It was a hard purchaes, b/c I knew it would weight the laptop down and I just wasn't a "case" person. After easily installing it, I fell in love with it! It makes the laptop look sexier. I mainly use my laptop at home anyway, and just was scared to scratch it or dent it.

The BEST part of it all, is that I don't get that terrible line on my wrist, after typing for a long time. :)

13. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I would worry about that case causing scratches.

14. sookainian macrumors regular

Yer same. I'm actually more worried it'll cause more scratches.

I got those plastic casing for my macbook pro, iPod video & 02 handphone. I got to say it's useless. Somehow it actually scratch the item. I've noidea how. But it's like that :mad:

Maybe.... over the time, fine sand/dirt get trip between the casing and the item. So somehow it just cause scratches..

15. ckusama macrumors newbie

Anybody have this issue?

I just bought the red glossy Speck case for my MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo.
    I love it but I've noticed the power cord doesn't make contact at times. I plug & unplug it but sometimes the light comes on & sometimes it doesn't. I don't get it. I guess the case doesn't allow a good connection.

Anyone else experience this? I may have to return the case.

16. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I have one on my MB and I love it. Doesn't add too much weight, fits like a glove and it's solid as a rock.

When to the Apple store and got one for my Air right after I won the Ebay listing. I don't have the Air yet, but should be here mid next week. I'll post some pictures. Don't risk damaging your expensive Air by going without this case.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

i saw this case and the case itself weighs a pound. So instead of having my MBA weigh only 3 pounds it will weigh 4 pounds which defeats the purpose of actually buying the MBA.

18. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

You are a little off. It's 12.5oz. 16 oz. equals a pound. Adding 12.5oz is better than a dented Air, IMO. Remember, it only takes one bump against something and you'll have an UGLY Air.

19. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

I had my air for 7 months and I randomly bump it in the doors, walls, chairs, cabinets while I'm holding it has never scratched, dented etc. I have never dropped it though and I have covered it with an invisible shield to protect it from dirt and scratches.

People are usually misled that MBA is so fragile that it only takes a minor bump to dent it which is not the case. The pictures of the dented MBA here in the forum are results of high drops on concrete, etc., not some minor bump.

20. Addison Charles macrumors newbie

Have had a few Speck SeeThrus with no probs!

My wife and i have had a couple well-travelled Speck SeeThrus over the past couple years and been very happy. Fits pretty tightly and looks nice -- she's got their aqua and I have the green currently. Looks slick on our MB pros.

They seem to have lots more color options now...

http://www.speckproducts.com

21. sookainian macrumors regular

I will never get plastic casing from now onwards...

I used to be a fan for plastic casing. For the past few years i have bought G2 iPod, iPod Video and MacBook Pro plastic casing..

But what i notice is that if you travel with them alot, some how, instate of protecting the devices, it actually scratch them =(

But my MacBook Air which is 1 year old already, doesn't have any casing... Till now, there are no scratches...

This is just my personal experience feedback, no offense for plastic casing fans

22. burnttoast0304 macrumors member

I picked up one this morning for my Air...it fits very good and so far its def. worth the 49.99 + tax if you want to protect your Air from scratches or potential dents of scuffs from normal wear and tear

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

8 months later my MBA is flawless. 100% support Speck.

24. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

25. FFTWarren macrumors member

get one of the encase/incase(not sure how its spelled) soft padded sleeves to carry it in. its fur lined so I really doubt itll get scratched in that