Speck smartshell blue picture?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MauiGideon, Sep 7, 2011.

1. MauiGideon macrumors regular

Hey guys I was thinking of buying the blue smartshell. Does anyone have one with a matching blue smart cover? My one fear is it will make the ipad look too girly/fake with a blue pastel smart cover AND shell lol. Any ideas?

2. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

You should probably go for the switcheasy cover buddy in clear. Its basically the same thing as the speck one, but it costs $10 less, and from what I've heard the fit and finish on the SE is better as well.

3. MauiGideon thread starter macrumors regular

I was checking it out but i do like the magnet on the back of the speck. I have never really been a fan of clear plastic cases. To me it looks cheapy... Or maybe i have just not seen a high quality clear case.

4. Dealwagon macrumors newbie

OK. Dont get the speck. Really. I have a friend with the switcheasy, and I just got the speck. My quick review of it..

It looks like a $5 ebay back. Really. Its got sharp edges and its a pseudo transleucent hard plastic case. Doesnt feel grippy. The fit is quite poor and the edges hurt your fingers if you slide them around the case. I sold the speck, and went to a switcheasy canvas (I know, much bigger) but even the finish on that is WAY better. Look at how the corners near the smart cover fit here: http://www.maclife.com/files/imagec...ize/gallery/speck_smart_shell_front_35262.jpg

It is a poor fit, and seems like cheap material.

I am NOT a speck basher. The only iphone case I use is the candyshell and I LOVE it (minus the breaking plastic around the 30 pin area). They have GREAT customer service and usually good products, but this speck smart cover case is not good at all.

Just trying to save you some grief.

5. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I liked the metal strip on the back of the Speck case, too. (It's not actually a magnet.) Until it came unglued from the case after a couple of months. No big deal because it stuck to the SmartCover and I was able to glue it back in place, but it might have been lost.

I also found that the (clear) Speck case showed a lot of scratches after a couple of months of (non-abusive) use. Not sure if a color version would have had such noticeable scratches but it's something to keep in mind.

I eventually replaced the Speck case with one from ENKI (www.enkigear.com) that was less money and sturdier. Doesn't show scratches, either. (A word of caution though. ENKI has had shipping problems in the past. While they seem to have worked them out (mostly), it's something to keep in mind.)

Finally, if you're looking for a DIY version of the metal strip on the Speck case, get a metal strip from a cheap feeler gauge at an auto parts or hardware store. Glue it in place on the case and (voila!) you have a SmartCover that stays in place.

P.S. ENKI has a forthcoming line of back cases that color match the SmartCover. The photos look nice but given the history of their first line of cases, you may want to tread carefully in terms of expecting quick shipping when and if they're released.