Speck Smartshell for the new iPad finally arrived!

Radio

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Central California
Wow!

It looks great and fits perfect

Love the magnetic back

Will take pics soon

Very nice and study for a shell

Ordered from macmall in early April

b3thomso

macrumors member
May 20, 2012
Was just gonna ask if anyone got theirs yet that pre ordered it. Im assuming its the clear one? I havent seen the black one in stock anywhere. Some pics or even a youtube review would be nice!

Radio

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Central California
Was just gonna ask if anyone got theirs yet that pre ordered it. Im assuming its the clear one? I havent seen the black one in stock anywhere. Some pics or even a youtube review would be nice!
I know I'll do it now.

Is there an iPad app for this site?

I don't have my notebook setup so I could up load directly

It's clear and I preordered it in early April

Was using the switcheasy canvas

b3thomso

macrumors member
May 20, 2012
Just a heads up. Speck finally added the Smartshell for the new ipad (3rd gen) to their website. Available in a clear or a transparant black it looks like. A customer service rep told me no other colors are planned right now.

https://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/the-new-ipad/smartshell-for-ipad.html

It would be nice to have this vs the Devicewear comparison. Besides price of course.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Just a heads up. Speck finally added the Smartshell for the new ipad (3rd gen) to their website. Available in a clear or a transparant black it looks like. A customer service rep told me no other colors are planned right now.

https://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/the-new-ipad/smartshell-for-ipad.html

It would be nice to have this vs the Devicewear comparison. Besides price of course.
I agree. Specifically in regards to the material quality. Speck, in my opinion, has the highest build quality of any case manufacturer on the market. However, thin is the name of the game in the iPad back case world, so I wonder if this is basically the same build quality as every other back case...

b3thomso

macrumors member
May 20, 2012
From what i gather people had nothing but good things to say about the Smartshell for the ipad 2. I watched the review by metagamers for the devicewear and im not quite sold on it. It looks kind of flimsy compared to the old smartshell reviews. The old smartshell just looks like its a tad bit tougher. Im sure the new one will be constructed the same if not better. I dunno. Maybe metagamers can chime in on this since he would know better than i would.

Hopefully someone comes out with a video or some pictures of the new Smartshell shortly after they get it. Or I just might buy both and form my own opinion.

Last edited:

Breezer23

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
I've yet to hear how thick the Devicewear actually is. I know the speck is 1.2mm just like the i-Blason. Speck makes great products so I'm sure any issues the iPad 2 version had will have been fixed.

b3thomso

macrumors member
May 20, 2012
I have the dark gray smart cover and i really like the black smartshell for some reason since it is a little transparant. You guys think it will look ok?

b3thomso

macrumors member
May 20, 2012
Outfityours.com just posted a review for the new speck smartshell in case anyone is interested.

RTbar

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
I just got my smart shell in, and it is the worst case I have tried so far... It fits soo loose that I must have gotten a bad one, plus the edges were very sharp, and the case was sort of bulky in the left side corners. The Belkin fit much better,if only they fixed the cracking issues it would be the best snap case with a magnet by far

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.