Speck Smartshell for the new iPad finally arrived!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Radio, May 18, 2012.

1. Radio macrumors 68000

Wow!

It looks great and fits perfect

Love the magnetic back

Will take pics soon

Very nice and study for a shell

Ordered from macmall in early April

2. b3thomso macrumors member

Was just gonna ask if anyone got theirs yet that pre ordered it. Im assuming its the clear one? I havent seen the black one in stock anywhere. Some pics or even a youtube review would be nice!

3. Radio thread starter macrumors 68000

I know I'll do it now.

Is there an iPad app for this site?

I don't have my notebook setup so I could up load directly

It's clear and I preordered it in early April

Was using the switcheasy canvas

4. b3thomso macrumors member

Im using my iphone so I dont know if there is an ipad app or not.

5. taylord22 macrumors regular

6. Radio thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes

7. b3thomso macrumors member

If you are talking about where you cant take the smart cover completely off without taking off the whole back shell then no. If you are talking about a magnet on the back holding the smart cover in place when you open it then yes.

----------

Hey radio, how about them pics? :)

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Interesting .... looks identical to the Devicewear Union (right down to the "imbedded strip" on the back) with the Union being almost 1/2 the price after the 20% coupon from FB. http://www.devicewear.com/the-union/

9. b3thomso macrumors member

Just a heads up. Speck finally added the Smartshell for the new ipad (3rd gen) to their website. Available in a clear or a transparant black it looks like. A customer service rep told me no other colors are planned right now.

https://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/the-new-ipad/smartshell-for-ipad.html

It would be nice to have this vs the Devicewear comparison. Besides price of course.

10. taylord22 macrumors regular

I agree. Specifically in regards to the material quality. Speck, in my opinion, has the highest build quality of any case manufacturer on the market. However, thin is the name of the game in the iPad back case world, so I wonder if this is basically the same build quality as every other back case...

11. b3thomso, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

b3thomso macrumors member

From what i gather people had nothing but good things to say about the Smartshell for the ipad 2. I watched the review by metagamers for the devicewear and im not quite sold on it. It looks kind of flimsy compared to the old smartshell reviews. The old smartshell just looks like its a tad bit tougher. Im sure the new one will be constructed the same if not better. I dunno. Maybe metagamers can chime in on this since he would know better than i would.

Hopefully someone comes out with a video or some pictures of the new Smartshell shortly after they get it. Or I just might buy both and form my own opinion.

12. Breezer23 macrumors member

I've yet to hear how thick the Devicewear actually is. I know the speck is 1.2mm just like the i-Blason. Speck makes great products so I'm sure any issues the iPad 2 version had will have been fixed.

13. b3thomso macrumors member

I have the dark gray smart cover and i really like the black smartshell for some reason since it is a little transparant. You guys think it will look ok?

14. b3thomso macrumors member

Outfityours.com just posted a review for the new speck smartshell in case anyone is interested.

15. RTbar macrumors regular

I just got my smart shell in, and it is the worst case I have tried so far... It fits soo loose that I must have gotten a bad one, plus the edges were very sharp, and the case was sort of bulky in the left side corners. The Belkin fit much better,if only they fixed the cracking issues it would be the best snap case with a magnet by far