Speck SmartShell recall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dougaha18, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dougaha18 macrumors member

I just posted this in the rMBP cases thread but I thought this might need to have its own thread.

I went to my local Apple store looking for a rMBP Speck Satin Smartshell case. The employee there told me that Speck has recalled these cases so he decided to get one of the Amazon cases instead.

Does anyone know anything about a recall by Speck? I can't find info anywhere so I don't know if the wait is worth it anymore.

Thanks for your responses.

2. ValourBaby macrumors newbie

I heard the same thing from an apple store employee. He told me that they were melty on retinas and they werent up to apple quality. I been waiting on these cases sucks that I gotta wait more I dont want a case from any other company.

3. kirky1234 macrumors member

So basically my computer is now surrounded by a "melty" something for which I paid 50 bucks?

4. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Contact them. If it's a recall you'll get a refund or replacement.

5. ValourBaby macrumors newbie

Im not saying thats whats going to happen to your computer. thats just what i heard maybe its not all cases. you should contact them I know I will as I really need a case for my rmbp.

6. dougaha18 thread starter macrumors member

The people at Speck told me there was no recall. It's weird to see that some people heard the same thing as I did from Apple employees though...

7. ValourBaby macrumors newbie

And this is what I heard on Saturday. Most likely speck doesn't want it to go viral. why would there case be sold out online already?not that many ppl even care about hard cases. I called speck n They told me their out of stock to just keep checking.

8. DT39 macrumors newbie

I ordered black satin one the other day off the Speck website to ship to UK. I have tracking details and it has been shipped and saying should be with me Wednesday.

9. kirky1234 macrumors member

Wrote them an Email and will report their answer. Wether there's a recall or not: Would a damage - clearly produced by the speck shell - fall under apple's warranty, speck's warranty or non of them?

10. dizzy960 macrumors newbie

Hi Im looking at buying the speck smartshell and live in the UK as well, how much did it cost you to ship it in from America on the Speck website?

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'd be more concerned with any device that actually "melts" these things myself. :eek:

12. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I'd be interested to hear more about this. I've been using my smartShell for about a week and I'm really liking it so far. Puts my mind at ease and looks cool.

13. rgr555 macrumors 6502

the clear was back in stock yesterday and i placed my order

even if they did melt hopefully this new batch (restocked) fixes it but seems like a silly rumor

14. DT39 macrumors newbie

I ordered the black satin smartshell off the Speckproducts.com site and it worked out to £43.25 with shipping. I ordered it on Saturday and it arrived on Wednesday via fedex, very quick!
    Awesome looking case and fits like a glove! Just stops the dings and scraps from every day use. I am well pleased with it and i tried the others off ebay and the kuzy one which was ok, but speck case is like night and day quality wise compared to the others!

This has also been on my rMBP with the fans running full blast and cpu temp running around 85-90c for about a hour while playing games with no problems!