Speck Smartshell Satin 15" MBP Case - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elmzeh, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Elmzeh macrumors regular

Elmzeh

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy one of these today but need some advice from people that have owned these before..

I've heard they are great for protecting MacBook Pros but I'm slightly concerned as I've read in some posts that these cases can actually scratch / damage the MacBook Pro unibody itself?

Could anyone shed some light on this as I'd love to buy one but don't want to if it will damage my MacBoon Pro (Classic).

2. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Watch some YouTube videos with comparisons, reviews and scratch tests. I find the Moshi a better case by reading and watching videos. I do not own any of them.

3. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

the smartshell cases from speck does not scratch your laptop!!! i use speck hard shell cases on my laptop for years on my other macbook pros and they never scratch my laptop. the exterior of my machines always looks like new and immaculate every time i remove the hard shell.

i use the speck smartshell for my retina fifteen inch model and indeed it is very thin, it almost look like a layer of plastic skin wraps but with a somewhat protection of a hard shell. so it's quite thin, just something for you to think about. personally i don't think it offer the kind of protection of a "real" hard shell case, but rather the protection from scratches and minor bumps. speck also has the regular hard shell case that is much thicker and can offer a "real" shell to the laptop, now that one can tolerate a more severe impact than the smart shell.

4. a1mbient macrumors newbie

I bought it and wedged that to part on...and look how it bends the edges of my screen. Yeah, really great product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Interesting. I've used the Speck cases on MBP and never have had that problem, nor scratching, even on my 15 rMBP.

6. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I don't know if the rMBP version of the case is a bit tighter (I do know that the screen halves of MacBooks do have a bit of flex to them anyway), but I haven't seen any negative issues with the Speck cases for the cMBP among my use or people that I know...I actually am using one of the Uncommon Deflector cases on mine at the moment. Still, the key to avoid any scratches is to clean it every so often (maybe once a month or so - you don't need to be too obsessive).

7. blooperz macrumors 6502

i bought a speck case for my rmbp 15...30 minutes after installing it i took it off and it now sits under a stack of papers, unused, where it shall remain indefinitely :). I knew it felt tight when i put it on, but when I tried to remove it I honestly was afraid that I was going to crack the screen just trying to pry the thing off...i bought a nice sleeve instead and just carry it around in that now.

8. Tribbs macrumors newbie

I bought a Speck SeeThru SATIN for a new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and it fits like a glove. It was very easy to install but isn't loose. It couldn't fit more perfectly. And it's beautiful to boot!

----------

I wonder if a source of heat made your plastic shrink.
    Was it exposed to direct sunlight or some other heat source?