specs affecting future resale value of 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ragamoffyn, May 17, 2011.

1. ragamoffyn macrumors newbie

Hi, all. I'm in Norway, and buying a new iMac here will cost about $1000+ more than the equivalent U.S. model. (Customs fees would make shipping it from the U.S. prohibitive, too.) So, I'm trying to find the best combination of cost and potential re-saleability -- I'd like to try selling it in two years and getting a new one.

With that in mind, I'm considering a 27" iMac with the specs below.

Note that the most-intensive things I would be using it for include some heavy-duty Photoshop work (not at the level of professional photographers and digital artists, but maybe approaching that), and maybe watching movies or streaming video while working on photos or other documents. So, I MAY be considering more computer than I need, but if I'm going to be spending so much on even a base model, I'm wondering if I should spend a little more to try to maximize how much I could sell it for in a couple of years.

• 3.4Ghz i7: Costs about $300 more than the 3.1Ghz i5 where I am, and $600+ more than the 2.7Ghz i5. Either of the i5 models is probably fine for my current needs. However, perhaps I could get much of that extra cost of the i7 back if I try to re-sell the compuer in 2 years? Alternatively, if the 3.1 or 2.7Ghz i5s can be expected to hold a decent portion of their value over the next couple of years, then perhaps they would be more cost-effective?
    • 1TB hard drive only: The 2TB drive is currently an extra $200+, and the 1TB + SSD is an extra $800+. I don't need 2TB right now, so I'm considering just getting an external ThunderBolt-equipped SSD or normal HD later (assuming they become widely available). Or perhaps the resale bump of a 2TB vs. 1TB drive is worth $200?
    • 1GB video card: The 2GB upgrade costs about an extra $130 currently. I don't think I need that much, but again, perhaps I could make up most of the difference in resale?
    • 4GB RAM: I'll just buy more from a 3rd party source.

I realize it is probably not possible to answer many of those questions, and it likely comes down to preference, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks much for any help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The more you pay now the more you'll be able to get for it later. Buying for future value is pointless and futile.

3. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Scour some sites like ebay and craigslist and see what 2 year old models with different options are selling for. Should give you a pretty good idea.

4. icemantx macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doubtful an iMac with a 27" drive and 2TB will increase the value by $200 if you sold it in a couple if years. Maybe $75-100. $800 for SDD will certainly not make the iMac worth $800 more in 2 yrs. In 2 yrs SSD should be quite a bit less money. In early 2009 when I got my iMac 8gb RAM (2 sticks of 4gb) was an extra $70". Now you can buy 8GB RAM for less than $100 USD. So someone paying $700 more for 8GB RAM in 2009 now has a computer worth $100 more than a 2009 iMac with 4GB...

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

All of this ^^^

I paid $345 for 4 gigs of ram (2 x 2) in late 2007 -- and that was the *cheapest* anywhere by far. Today, 3-4 years later that same ram is $40 new and $20 used.

I would probably spring for the i7, but only expect a 1/3 return on price.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The difference would probably be that you'd sell your upgraded machine for roughly the same price faster online that the people selling their stock ones.