Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm trying to find the specifications/datasheet for the Apple factory installed 500GB hard drive inside a late-2012 (2.5GHz i5). Disk utility tells me it's a "HTS545050A7E362" by Hitachi (HGST), but I'm unable to find anything online, even by going to the manufacturer's website (HGST).
The only thing that comes close is the HGST Z5K500 Travelstar series, but with completely different model numbers. The other hits I'm getting are to places like Amazon, but without much in terms of specifications, benchmarks etc.

Does anyone know where I can find a datasheet on this drive?

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/0J38105U/Specs

This is the most detailed source I could find. They say the cache is 6MB which conforms to the format of HGST's datasheet for the series (the 6 in the HDD's number is supposed to be the size of the cache).

They claim the specs is provided by HGST. I think generally a datasheet of an OEM item tends to be not publicly available. You may have to contact HGST directly if you want more info.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks.
I basically just wanted to know a little about its performance, but understand I have to take it all with a little grain of salt.
In any case I understand this is a pretty low spec'd drive.

I'm about to order an SSD as an OSX/apps drive and have all the files etc. on the hard drive. Hopefully it'll suffice, but if not there are always loads of 7200 RPM performance drives to choose from as a replacement.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The datasheet for the standard Travelstar Z5K500 is:
https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/TS-Z5K500-ds.pdf

The only difference in the model # between HTS545050A7E362 and a standard Travelstar Z5K500 drive is in the last 2 numbers. I think the last 2 numbers ("62") are a code for the Apple OEM drive. People who sell the Apple version say there's 8MB cache and 6MB is pretty odd for a HD cache so I don't think the "6" stands for 6MB cache. Also, the last number for a standard drive is the encryption (0 is for no encryption) and I don't think the Apple drives had HDD-based encryption (why would they?). I have a 1TB drive taken from my 2014 Mini and it also follows the standard Travelstar coding convention for that drive, except again, for the last 2 numbers, which are "62".

I would doubt that the Apple drives are functionally different from the standard drives. There's information from HGST (now a subsidiary of WD) at http://www.hgst.com/company/resources
You can get a 174-page specification there for the standard Travelstar drive. Otherwise, as mentioned in post #2, you'd have to contact HGST.

bcwmr

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
I am staring at the one I just pulled out of my machine about 4 hours ago. HGST (www.hgst.com) drive. SATA 5400 RPM 500GB P/N 0J34245 are about the only thing I can see on the drive label as the apple part label is covering most of the manufacturer label and it does not want to come off.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks to both of you. They sure don't make it easy for us, do they?
From what I can tell, the drive, if anything like the Travelstar Z5K500, read performance is average, while it's lousy on writes. Well, at least it's not the other way round, which is a good thing ;)

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I am staring at the one I just pulled out of my machine about 4 hours ago. HGST (www.hgst.com) drive. SATA 5400 RPM 500GB P/N 0J34245 are about the only thing I can see on the drive label as the apple part label is covering most of the manufacturer label and it does not want to come off.

If the drive is connected to the internal SATA port, the model # will appear in the System Information app under SATA ... (the exact text will depend on which OS you are using).

Thanks to both of you. They sure don't make it easy for us, do they?
From what I can tell, the drive, if anything like the Travelstar Z5K500, read performance is average, while it's lousy on writes. Well, at least it's not the other way round, which is a good thing ;)

HDD's have pretty much become commodity items for most people. There are only 3 manufacturers left (Seagate, WD, Toshiba and Toshiba has a small market share). If you buy an external drive, the manufacturers usually won't specify the model of drive they're using. Plus, SSD prices have come down so people really concerned about performance just head there. A drive like what Apple has put in the 2012/2104 Mini is about $40 for 500GB. A Crucial MX500 250GB is $80.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.