Specs for new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aditya_S, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I know the new MBPs will be getting Skylake CPUs, but what would the performance increase be and how much of an increase will the integrated graphics get? Based on these specs, how many years of usage should I expect to get from the new MBPs?

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Literally nobody has any idea. Wait until they are released.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Maybe a new minimum 256 go drive but I sort of doubt that. Unfortunately. All I know is if they don't release in the next couple weeks they lose my sale. Didn't realize the interest free Barclay card option only applied for 30 days and I'm not buying a machine that's getting upgraded in two months for he same price neon here's hoping its March not may.

4. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

For performance, you can watch YT videos of Windows laptops running Skylake and testing games using the iGPU.

As Apple uses the "Pro" versions of the iGPU, you can expect maybe 5 more fps?

The CPU increase isn't ground breaking, just the same 5-10% improvement.

The most interesting question is "Will Apple upgrade to TB3/USB Type C?", potentially breaking miniDisplay/TB 2 adapters. Since Apple never seems to add more ports nowadays, just removing them for the sake of being skinny.

I'm hoping as well for updated rMBP in the upcoming March event or WWDC. Don't want to spend too much on relatively "old" tech in the current rMBP.

5. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

The only good guess some might make is you'll see Skylake chips in the new laptops. The 13" is the most likely to see a release along with the MacBooks which will move to second generation and become a hot item (again).

Your likely to see some port alteration as part of the next wave. Everything else is really hard to quantify.

6. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think they'll keep MagSafe charging or move to USB C. I haven't used MagSafe 2, but I've heard it was a really good charging port

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Not a chance of moving to USB-C as a power source replacement for MagSafe 2. USB-C can only provide "1.5 A and 3.0 A over the 5 V power bus in addition to baseline 900 mA", vs max 20V with MagSafe 2. It's fine for the Core m CPU's, but anything requiring more juice will not be satisfied with USB-C.

In the future ... "maybe" ... but by then it won't be called USB-C anymore.

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

You're comparing volts and amps, those aren't comparable.
    USB C can provide 100 watts of power at 20 volts. More than enough to charge any existing macbook.

9. ValiumEater macrumors regular

They'll be the best MacBook Pros Apple has every made...for what it's worth

10. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Thanks Tim.

11. ValiumEater macrumors regular

It's Jony actually.