Specs for the iMac I am seconds away from purchasing. THOUGHTS?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Amnesiac1, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

• [​IMG]
    • 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • 4GB of RAM
    • 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    • Magic Trackpad
    • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac- Auto-enroll
    • Apple Remote
    • Apple Battery Charger

...Here are the specs for my current 2007 MBP:

[​IMG]
    • 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 2 GB 667 MHz DDR SDRAM
    • 320 GB HD
    • GeForce 8600M GT

What do you think?

2. hammten macrumors regular

Looks good, it will be a big upgrade over the laptop

3. Objector macrumors member

It won't get any better, so chances are you don't even need those high-specs. What are you planning to do with the iMac? I personally wouldn't spend my money on the charger and the remote, but those are just a fraction of the total price :D

4. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

That is a lot of money for an all-in-one computer. I went a little lighter in the $2,000 range. But if you want the best, drop the extra grand.

5. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will be using it for word processing, gaming, recreational tasks like listening to music and watching HD content from iTunes, watching DVDs, etc. However, I am an inordinate multi-tasker and often have A LOT of windows, tabs, programs, etc. open at once.

I am also trying to 'future proof' this machine. Although, a cantankerous reply from someone like Badger will likely inform me that 'future proofing' is impossible.

6. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

lol you definitely don't need the cores i7..i have a core i5 and can do all of that plus a hell of a lot more plus run handbrake in the background

7. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was considering just getting a 1TB but I don't want to regret it in the future, especially since an HD is one of the hardest parts to replace/upgrade in an iMac.

8. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to leave the possibility of video editing open, though.

9. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

Don't do the SSD upgrade,
    instead find an authorized apple repair center to install an OWC Mercury Extreme 6g or an OCZ Vertex III.

I haven't found confirmation of what SSD is in the new iMacs, but I somehow doubt it compares to the two I mentioned.

10. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate the advice, but many people are very happy with the SSDs that Apple puts into these iMacs.

11. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

If you are trying to save cash, go with the i5. If cash is not a matter, go i7.

The i5 is plenty for what you do, heck, plenty for pretty much anyone. I understand that you want to leave the video editing option open but it's not like you are going to become a full time video editor. It's not like a night and day thing either, the i5 is very competent.

I bought the i7 last year and use my iMac for AutoCAD, general use and some gaming. If I had to buy a new iMac this year, without hesitation, I would buy the i5.

12. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

drop down to the 1TB + 256GB. 2TB for $150 more is extremely expensive, and its not worth the price. everything else looks fine (3.4ghz core i7, 4GB, radeon 6970m 2GB).

i would upgrade the ram from newegg or owc as well. :)

13. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about doing this. Crucial or G.Skill? Any specific links you can direct me to?

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

STOP! You should wait until the next version of iMac to order.

The next generation processor is going to be leaps and bounds faster -- while using less power.

Video cards are getting the same treatment. 4 GB cards will come standard. And all iMacs will get larger screens, 32" is what I read. 3000 X 1900 -- you dont want to miss that.

And since SSDs are dropping in cost and improving in speed/size so fast , they will most likely some stock with a 1TB SSD boot and 1TB SSD for storage. And those will be 12 Gbps SSDs, not the slow 3 Gbps SSDs in the current iMac.

Ram is the same way -- it was $100 just a month or so ago -- now its like $65 for the same amount. Then next iMac will surely ship with 16 gigs stock since ram will be less than $20 for 8 gigs.

I also read theres a pretty significant price drop coming with all this new tech.

You should wait, you will just regret ordering this iMac in less than 6 months once the details start to come out on the new ones.

15. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

wwhat? the iMacs were just refreshed...you going to tell him to wait when the iMac is refreshed again?

16. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

He's being satirical. Unnecessarily crotchety posts seem to be one of Badger's fortes.

17. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

lol ah my bad....haha hard to tell some times on the net..sorry badger

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think you are doing the right thing. It is a major pain to upgrade the hard drives in the iMacs. You might as well go all out. I did the 1 TB iMac for 2010 and regret not getting the SSD and the 2 TB drive.

19. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

20. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I saw this coming a mile away.

Redundant posts on a message board doesn't constitute so egregious an offence that you need to crusade into each post complaining about it. It isn't worth the ire.

21. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

A change in plan. I'm thinking about sticking to 4GB for a while before upgrading to 12GB. I imagine that I will only run into trouble when it comes to games and video editing, and even then, 4GB should suffice for both of those tasks, right?

22. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

That's the same reason why I upped my iMac to 2TB (well, I also needed the space I already have 1.4 Tb space left).

23. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Why wait?

You are about to drop $3000 on an iMac, whats another $75 at this point?

RAM prices fluctuate wildly -- in 3 months 8 gigs could be $200...

24. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

i ordered 16GB for just under $150 from newegg. that alone was enough for me to go ahead and buy!

25. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I'll purchase this. Anyone have any success with this type of RAM?

Does Newegg even ship to Canada?