Spec's of Referbished Mac's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sn0wman72, Sep 16, 2010.

1. sn0wman72 macrumors member

I am wondering if the label on the outside of a refurbished Mac lists all the spec's of the machine?

In other words if you purchase say a base model i3 21.5" Imac and it happens to have upgraded memory amounts will the label state this or will you need to boot the Imac up and click on the "about this Mac" to find out?

Thx

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's a packing list in the box, but occasionally they'll send more RAM than you ordered (a freebie), which you won't see until you boot up.

3. sn0wman72 thread starter macrumors member

Thx for that, I was considering ordering 2 refurbished Macs with the hope of one having some "bonus" upgrades. Sounds like there would be no way to avoid the 10% restocking fee, as any bonus upgrade would require the Mac to be booted-up.

4. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Don't buy one betting on an "bonus" upgrade. You would have a better chance of getting hit by lightning.

5. sn0wman72 thread starter macrumors member

Well I did not get struck by lightning...but I did get a bonus!

I ordered a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 128ssd 4GB memory 320M graphics. Clicked on the "about this apple" to check the system specs. The bonus...8GB of memory installed. So far I could not be happier, a nice upgrade from the old MacBook