Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
Just bought a 4K AppleTV thinking I could easily get the Spectrum app on it... Can’t seem to find it so assume Apple has no Spectrum app?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
You’ve got it wrong...Spectrum doesn’t have an AppleTV app. Apple has nothing to do with the app or lack theirof

Reactions: Cigsm

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
All we can do is ask Spectrum to put their apps on more platforms. I had to buy a Roku just so I could use this app to watch tv in part of my home. It’s only available for Roku and Xbox, I believe...

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
They have apps for iPad and iPhone so I don’t know what’s keeping them from doing one for the ATV. I wish they would develop one soon.

Thanks folks. No Spectrum app was a deal breaker for me. Took the AppleTV back and got a Roku... Tough choice. No iTunes on Roku and no Spectrum on AppleTV.

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
When traveling I am forced to take, in addition to my Apple TV, a Firestick because Apple TV DOES NOT have the DISH Anywhere app which enables me yo watch all the channels I receive at home and everything I have DVR'd...

If Dish would write an app for the Apple TV (like the one on my iPhone and iPad!!!) no need for the Firestick.

Crazy.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
When traveling I am forced to take, in addition to my Apple TV, a Firestick because Apple TV DOES NOT have the DISH Anywhere app which enables me yo watch all the channels I receive at home and everything I have DVR'd...

If Dish would write an app for the Apple TV (like the one on my iPhone and iPad!!!) no need for the Firestick.

Crazy.
Well it probably has something to do with the policy where Apple wants a cut of every sub or. Something perhaps?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks folks. No Spectrum app was a deal breaker for me. Took the AppleTV back and got a Roku... Tough choice. No iTunes on Roku and no Spectrum on AppleTV.

Oddly enough there is a spectrum app on the iphone and ipad.
I don't recall if airplay is enabled.

Have to collect those box fees on the outdated refurbished boxes.
[doublepost=1516047913][/doublepost]

Crazy.

Do you stay at hotels? How do you get past the wifi login process?

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Don't think any cable company has made an Apple TV app, and they probably won't. Either too small a userbase or too hard to develop apps for, not sure the reason.

It might be because of the TV App SSO so they don't see the need.

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
Oddly enough there is a spectrum app on the iphone and ipad.
I don't recall if airplay is enabled.

Have to collect those box fees on the outdated refurbished boxes.
[doublepost=1516047913][/doublepost]

Do you stay at hotels? How do you get past the wifi login process?

With the Firestick, there is a really really basic browser that pops up to get you thru the hotel portal... with that, you can log on with giving your name and room number...

For the Apple TV 4, I have the hotel manually add my ATV's WiFi (MAC Address) to their system for the duration of my stay. Most times the hotel has to call their ISP to do this, although sometimes a hotel IT person can do it with their laptop. When I travel for work, I am lucky enough to have advance people ahead of me who are able to get this process done before my arrival...
You need to get to the hotel IT person for this and occasionally hotels don't know what I am talking about.
[doublepost=1516068887][/doublepost]
Don't think any cable company has made an Apple TV app, and they probably won't. Either too small a userbase or too hard to develop apps for, not sure the reason.

It might be because of the TV App SSO so they don't see the need.

I wish they would, they do on iPhone and iPad...

I traveled last year for 3 months not in the USA and used the DISH ANYWHERE app via a Firestick everyday. I seldom if ever watched the local TV. Just had to figure out how to change inputs on the TV's and even with medium or even slow WiFi it rocked.

I would have much preferred doing this on my ATV...

Reactions: bruinsrme

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
With the Firestick, there is a really really basic browser that pops up to get you thru the hotel portal... with that, you can log on with giving your name and room number...
I can attest to this - Fire Stick is indispensable for me when travelling for this specific reason - I believe the Roku has a similar feature now (called Hotel & Dorm Connect).

I traveled last year for 3 months not in the USA and used the DISH ANYWHERE app via a Firestick everyday. I seldom if ever watched the local TV. Just had to figure out how to change inputs on the TV's and even with medium or even slow WiFi it rocked.

I would have much preferred doing this on my ATV...
I think the future is cordcutting anyway, and there's quite a few providers to choose from now.

Last edited:

Netbob

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
I can attest to this - Fire Stick is indispensable for me when travelling for this specific reason - I believe the Roku has a similar feature now (called Hotel & Dorm Connect).

I think the future is cordcutting anyway, and there's quite a few providers to choose from now.
[doublepost=1539207520][/doublepost]I’ve been waiting for a spectrum Apple TV app for a while. It’s been on the iPad and iPhone. I heard in June of this year that Spectrum was finally going to release an Apple TV app. I think the program is not quite ready yet as I have not seen anything. As for replacing the boxes with the spectrum app, I’m not sure that can happen. With directv now and other cord cutting solutions out there, you’d think spectrum would want to get in on that.
Nb

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Cable companies are very careful not to lose the $10/month rental charge per box they lease out. It’s a cash cow for them.

As in life. It’s alwsys about the money. I don’t know what financial arrange Roku has with xfinity or spectrum.

But those apps aren’t available on Android tv (nvidia shield) either and they aren’t available on amazon fire tv.

Direct tv (the satellite service) doesn’t offer their app on Android tv amazon fire or Apple TV either.

Follow the money trail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.