Spectrum Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by davidg4781, Nov 7, 2017.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I just got off the phone with Spectrum about a digital box that I don’t need but get charged $4/month for. I’m able to pick up digital HD channels using my TV’s tuner.

She said that those channels are coming from OTA and that if I want I can cancel the TV service and still get basic channel signals.

My question is will the HD channels still come in? Any suggestions on if this is a good idea?

We’re supposed to switch to all digital (apparently my area is the only area left in the country that isn’t) very soon. There’s supposed to be a digital streaming only plan coming early December for $20/month. We’ll probably switch to that.

2. hinesmj macrumors 6502

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

My guess is, that if the area you're in is still in the process of switching to digital (how in the world is that even possible?), you'll need a much stronger antenna than the Mohu (or any other paper thin antenna). I live about 20 miles outside of St. Louis and needed an antenna that I had to mount in my attic to get most of the channels the internet was telling me I was supposed to get. (And I still don't get everything.) But, yes, it can be done. I've been cable free since 2007.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

We don’t have an OTA antenna. I tried a MOHU 50 one (I think I have it for sale on here) and couldn’t get anything. She said it’s just coming in from the cable from the pole. Doesn’t sound right.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I've had a few Spectrum people tell me that South Texas is the last one in the country to convert. The only problem with getting an OTA antenna is running the cable to all the TVs. I MIGHT be able to tie in to the cable line we're using already, but it would cut off any cable signals, and not get it to all TVs.

But I don't understand what she meant. She said that we should not be able to see HD channels without the digital box. The HD channels I'm seeing are being pulled from OTA. But the cable goes from the TV to the pole to Spectrum. Are they slip streaming OTA in there?

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm guessing she meant that any older TVs you have that don't have the digital converter wouldn't get the digital signal, and that's why digital converter boxes were popular for a few years and were government subsidized. Any TV you've purchased in the last 10 years should be able to pull down an OTA digital signal. My mind is still boggled that I'm even talking about this in 2017. :)

Running the OTA antenna through the cable line is exactly what I did in my house. I mounted the antenna in the attic, ran coax through the closet below and into the basement close to where the cable came in, just disconnected their input and screwed on the antenna's. My house is fairly new and so has coax run to all the bedrooms and the living room. And, typical of houses in Missouri, has a basement. Your situation will likely be different.