Speculation: 1st Gen. iPhone prices on Ebay will go own on July 11th

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by backfromtejas, Jun 13, 2008.

1. backfromtejas macrumors newbie

Since there have been rumors that the new 3G iPhone will not be able to be unlocked because of in-store activation, etc., I at first speculated that the price of the 1st Gen. iPhones would go up because of the demand of T-Mobile customers who want unlocked iPhones.

But won't everyone be selling their old iPhones right on July 11th and therefore, the price of these 1st Gen. iPhones dramatically decrease?

Let me know what you guys think.

I need to buy an iPhone ASAP for work. And am seriously thinking about buying one off Ebay now, and then selling it in July and getting the 3G.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

If you get an iPhone now from AT&T you should be able to turn the old one in to AT&T for a new one and they'll refund the price difference. Thats what I read at gizmodo, at least, I think. You should probably double check the refund the difference bit.

3. backfromtejas thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, how I wish it was that easy! I have called around a ton of places, and no one has any iPhones.

Hopefully I'll find somewhere today.

Anybody know of any AT&T stores that have iPhones in the Bay Area?

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Nothing in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. CL or eBay and the cheapest I've seen so far has been $305 and the bidding is still going. iPhones seem to be going for at least $450+ at present. :eek:

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

If the rumors about signing the contract in store when you purchase your iPhone are true, making unlocking it harder to do, I would imagine that the price for 1st gen iPhone would go up because of those who don't live in 3G areas would want them and also the simple matter of it being unlocked

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just watched a three eBay biddings close for the 8GB iPhone at $375, $380, $450. (Included shipping) :eek:

7. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

Yeah, but you can get one off of craigslist, in most cities, for $225-$300, it's ridiculous how many people are buying them for $400+ right now! I bought one, perfect condition, for $250, 2 days ago.:eek: